Corpsey

bandz ahoy
He was just 17 if you know what I mean

Imagine having a brain so limber and lithe

My brain is heaving itself up the stairs, dabbing its forehead, hawking up phlegm

sadmanbarty

When I was 17 I was being berated by Bulgarians for being rubbish at construction.

Then here’s entertainment, righting the wrongs of the world. A brain of at least a 25 year old.

Corpsey

bandz ahoy
Well think of me, I'm Jason Orange at best

Luka's the one with dreadlocks though lolll

eb68c338b322c1aecc27d5b36f336c83--howard-donald-donald-oconnor.jpg

padraig (u.s.)

a monkey that will go ape
oh man do I ever have thoughts on this topic, as you might imagine

unfortunately I have to go to work and if I get around to posting them it'll be when yall are probably asleep

but just briefly here's an example of truly psychedelic guitar music (takes a couple of minutes to get going)

padraig (u.s.)

a monkey that will go ape
most 60s psychedelic biz actually isn't very psychedelic at all

with possible exception of Pink Floyd, tho their most far-out is ca Live at Pompeii, directly post-Syd but before they'd started curdling into arena space-rock

i.e. Blue Cheer, ne plus ultra of fuzz (what would be retroactively termed "heavy psych"), is way more de facto psychedelic than Love, or Strawberry Alarm Clock, or whatever

the break is as my dude correctly identified upthread, in mindset, world view, the possible

the actual sonics - both composition and technology wise - didn't catch up until about half a decade later

the real psychedelic late 60s stuff is is shambling chaotic drum circle stuff like Amon Duul I. it really varies in quality, but the attitude is right.

whereas most of what is labeled "psych" is garage rock, guitar pop, or whatever

I mention this cos it causes confusion when people are understandably like "but why isn't any of this, like, psychedelic"

Corpsey

bandz ahoy
"As pop music began incorporating psychedelic sounds, the genre emerged as a mainstream and commercial force.[30] Psychedelic rock reached its peak in the last years of the decade.[6] From 1967 to 1968, it was the prevailing sound of rock music, either in the whimsical British variant, or the harder American West Coast acid." (wiki)

The linking of expanded consciousness with childhood goes back to - at least - the Romantics. Wordsworth communing with rivers and wishing he'd never had to grow up.

As for the British love of whimsy that's an interesting phenomenon - perhaps the buttoned-up nature of British society demanded hysterical relief in the form of surrealism, silly costumes, men dressed as women (back when that was hilarious)? Also the British humour as undercutting of "pretense" and pomposity. The national hatred of people getting above themselves. He needs taking down a peg. etc.

Last edited:

sadmanbarty

those trebly sitar and shanai sound's have that acid sharpness. the contours and edges of things being very defined. over exposure of light.

it's also got that gutting feeling where you realise you're having a horrible trip and you know you've got hours and hours and hours of it. no let up.

version

These are people who grew up in a world ofclassroom discipline and duty where childishness and silliness felt revolutionary. Todays childishness is compulsory and a different emphasis is required.

It's a different kind of childishness too. Nowadays it's almost entirely about consuming formerly childish things like superhero stories and video games whereas the 60s childishness seems to have been a general sense of play, of having no responsibilities. We're in a later stage of childhood, early teens maybe. The whole playing in the garden, silly voices and whatnot psychedelic thing is more like four or five years old, almost a baby.

sadmanbarty

the harder American West Coast acid." (wiki)

this is a myth that has to die.

san francisco was not psychedelic. i can't believe they all get away with pretending otherwise.

the problem is american's equate having a few ditsy blond girls running around with face paint with having your mind blown.