Deep Soul

bassbeyondreason

Chtonic Fatigue Syndrome
Continuing from the beautiful tunes thread. Not that it'll endear me to the dissensus hive mind, but over the past 6 years or so I've got into collecting soul 45s, the more heartwrenching the better. Nothing against uptempo stuff but this is a thread for the down- and midtempo heartbreakers, lowrider ballads, 80s steppers etc. Gonna drop a load of youtubes, feel free to add.
Gonna stick to posting stuff I already own 'cause it's competitive out there:

DannyL

Wild Horses
Love that Webs tune. My knowledge of OG 45s is weak but I'll try and add a few things.

This has been a fave since it got reissued.

A bit uptempo maybe but the vocal is incredible.

Most incredible version of this song:

bassbeyondreason

Chtonic Fatigue Syndrome
That Little Ann is stunning, but (remarkably) it was actually never issued in the first place. Same with her big Northern tune:

version

Can't hear this one without picturing Keitel at the end of Bad Lieutenant with everyone gradually crowding round the car.

Last edited:

DannyL

Wild Horses

First heard this on a Sun Ra compilation so presumably there's some involvement from him but I can't recall what it is. There's a fuller version with instrumentation on the album IIRC

Another teenage tearjerker

That's been used in a film now (Blue Valentine) and this was used infamously in Breaking Bad. Still fire though.

DannyL

Wild Horses
You paying much for these? I love the music but have always been put off collecting 'cos I know what the soul 45 market can be like.

bassbeyondreason

Chtonic Fatigue Syndrome
I pay a fair bit when I can afford (most I've spent is £225, for that Joe Brown 45) but there's plenty of good and interesting cheap records out there, especially at the less dancefloor-friendly end.

DannyL

Wild Horses
Soul 45s are one of the few areas where record collecting stops being s\the mall beer that it is mostly and starts to touch the prices of other collectables markets. I'm listening to that Joe Brown again now, its' great.

Whenever I listen to soul I think to myself why do I even bother fucking around with all this other rubbish? Rocksteady has a similar effect.

entertainment

Been listening to these all day, thanks!

Sometimes I feel slightly like that scene in Wall-E where the robots are watching this old tape of people dancing, though.

Leo

just when you thought you've heard everything. apparently a private press from 1980, reissured earlier this year by numero. homemade lounge soul with hints of '70s Suicide.