Rab C. Nesbitt

the ig

first sung lines on the album, yknow, a massive hit with teen girls, yr ma, everyone, after 'party fears two':

TORE MY HAIR OUT FROM THE ROOOOOOOOOOOTS
PLANTED THEM IN SOMEONE'S GAAAAAARDEN
THEN I WAITED FOR THE SHOOOOOOOTS
THEN I WAITED FOR THE SHOOOOOOO-OOOOOOO-OOOOOOOOOOTS

'sulk' i mean what a singular thing, how 'dated' (and all the weirder for that), how striking, how it takes over, colours a room whenever you put it on.
a 'rewiring' every fucking listen...

Last edited:

Leo

the first three associates albums (well, "fourth drawer down" was a singles comp) are among my all-time favorites, still sound completely out of time and place. songwriting and production are so weird, never mind billy's vocals.

baboon2004

Darned cockwombles.
lodger era bowie seems a really obvious influence upon the associates (given the boys keep swinging cover as well)

the ig

yeah 'boys keep swinging' 7" with this b-side which i want want want

as fan the big missing bit in the assocs collection

the ig

v diff version ended up on fdd:

i always think of berlin trilogy opening up for this even weirder stuff in the glampop/newpop 80s.

whilst the newromos concentrate on image, androgyny poise and style, the man-becoming-statue thing, a bunch of frankly more thrilling - tho still glammy and chartbound - bands take up this sort of damaged, isolationist, feelingly restless, 'cracked' bowie, by turns more jittery, febrile (lodger, lotta heroes), enervated ('be my wife', 'always crashing...'), sentient but dissolving in icy sonic fields (low b-side)

hey, like these guys:

amazing!

nothing quite like pain or just despair tho, just new weird alloys of feeling, we still catching up unable to quite plot them out..

(poss my fav front man thing ever: sort of morrisonian slink punctuated by ian curtis, and all tied up with the malangian whip...clothes, timing, the play with cam, everything works)

but 'station to station' is v much in there too, the cold exoticism (into berlin 3 obvs) the search for external space to recompose the self, landscapes, buildings, the boxing comfort and repose of the train, impassivity-but-change (nothing too self-driven, 'voluntarist', gotta be train instead of car) & that rousseauean displacement, travel-for-its-own-sake thing..

Last edited: