Crystalline/Glacial

sadmanbarty

Music that sounds like crystals.

Music that’s crystal clear.

Music that crystalizes.

Purity, sharpness, edges, frosted, fractal, cool air, arctic color schemes, slick, sleek.

This isn’t merely aesthetic, it’s cognitive. That LSD sharpness.

Clear headed, sharp witted, a moment of clarity.

Reactions: sus

sadmanbarty

Chewing gum marketing plays around with this aesthetic; “Ice”, “Spearmint”, “Wintermint Ascent”, “Ice Breakers Cool Mint”, “Winter Mint”, “Airwaves”.

That thing of clearing your airways.

Being bunged-up is the polar opposite of this. Your mind gets all mushy when you have a cold. Snot is viscous. Sonic viscosity is swampy and mid-range rather than sharp and treble.

sadmanbarty

This aesthetic is integral to Apple’s chic; touchscreen, operating system names (Snow Leopard, Mountain Lion, Sierra), the default desktop pictures are mountains and arctic ranges.

The Shard (which is just one massive iPhone) also fits into this.

sadmanbarty

I forgot to post earlier that this aesthetic can defeat itself by crossing over into garishness.

Glass reverts back to sand.

That LSD cognitive electricity becomes frazzled as wires get mixed and fuses get blown.

Seraphic light becomes migraine-inducing.

Snow blindness.

The threshold between enlightenment and madness.

sadmanbarty

Bells have very good. They have religious connotations in the west by way of Churches, but also with Gamelan music and finger cymbals from the east.

The crystalline aesthetic like the breath of Gabriel. Communicating the higher truths.

luka

The Japanese do this better than anyone. It's at the core of their traditional aesthetic. Clarity not intoxication.

Last edited:

luka

So obviously here ice isn't operating as metaphor for mental clarity but for isolation and etc as well as having a representational dimension, i.e a depiction of landscape/environment.

luka

Crystal is a central metaphor in new age culture as well as having a literal dimension (healing crystals)

luka

The mountain is an important component of this symbol complex. Again, isolation, spiritual elevation, a vantage placed above the human, the heavens, the arduous ascent

luka

Wiley. Where again it seems to operate mostly as a metaphor for isolation, becoming inhuman, cold blooded, unemotional, numb.

Last edited:

luka

The acid state can seem very inhuman, the cold windy rock of Hassan Sabbah. Woebot told me an essay I wrote last year had that authentic psychedelic coldness, which I don't think he meant as a compliment exactly. Something alien about it, not disembodied precisely, but lifted out of human concerns. The reptile eye.

version

Ket feels a bit like that at times. Very detached, like being encased and falling deeper into frosted glass. That's on smaller doses though when it feels a bit cleaner. Beyond a certain point it gets a bit sludgy and mushy.