Leo

Happy thanksgiving Leo they might mock us for being old but we should be proud of making it this far.

thank you, luka. and you're much younger than me, got at least another decade before anyone can mock you for being old!

IdleRich

IdleRich
Yeah happy thanksgiving... and black friday too.
Anyway, six pork cheeks will be simmering away in red wine etc for the next couple of hours. They already seem fairly soft so should be fall-apart melt in the mouth by then.

20191129_180205.jpg

Mr. Tea

Let's Talk About Ceps
Looks lovely and rich, Rich.

Last night we just defrosted some Thai green curry that we made a job lot of about a month back.

I've made cheese and spinach pie, which I think I described a few weeks ago. I've included it again to give some details on the recipe. Now at an absolute bare-bones level I think it's just wilted spinach, chopped feta, an egg to bind it together and then the pastry. We've slightly bastardized it by adding mature cheddar along with the feta and flavoured it with black pepper, nutmeg and some dried powdered parasol mushroom stems (try sourcing that in Waitrose, motherfuckers!).

spinach_pie1.jpg spinach_pie2.jpg

I'll be serving it with some rich, garlicky, slightly spicy tomato sauce that I had hanging around in the freezer - originally made for pizza topping but goes really well with C&SP. No idea if this is a traditional Greek thing but it's the way my mum always serves it.

Photo of baked pie to follow.

Mr. Tea

Let's Talk About Ceps
It was actually more golden in colour than it looks from the photo taken on my cheapo Sony phone.

spinach_pie3.jpg

Tasted fucking boss, though.

Planning something seriously special tomorrow. Watch this space.

Leo

that looks great, tea, you've regained the crown. just keep an eye on the nappy rash.

Arthur Brick

Mortar Life
Everything I’ve eaten for last 48hrs has been from a buffet or from a train station vendor. Massively craving some vegetables!

Mr. Tea

Let's Talk About Ceps
Hello Arthur, welcome to the thread. Please tell us about your vegetables when you get round to eating some. Photos optional.

DannyL

Wild Horses
I had roasted aubergines topped with a kinda Ottolenghi inspired "salad" roasted cauliflower, garlic, chickpeas, parsley, rosemary, dill and preserved lemon all tossed in yoghurt + some pomegranate seeds. Was nice but not as f-f-f-fresh as I hoped for I think 'cos I'd roasted the caluliflower. The recipe I'd looked at suggested stirring through a load of raw grated cauliflower but I couldn't be arsed. That'll learn me. Some fresh lemon juice would've helped. Green beans on the side.

Mr. Tea

Let's Talk About Ceps
OK, so this is a twofer, if that's allowed.

For brunch I made potato cakes with the potato/carrot/mustard mash we had left over from a few days ago, with bacon and eggs:

brunch.jpg

Then for dinner I sous-vided some venison steaks, then fried for a minute a side and served with blackberry sauce and some wine-braised ceps and winter chanterelles, with the last of the mash on the side. HELL YEAH.

I was particularly pleased with the sauce. The recipe I used called for beef stock but I one-upped that by using the last of the gravy we had left over from the meatloaf dinner courtesy of my parents last week. Moral of the story: never, ever throw away proper gravy.

venison_dinner.jpg

Mr. Tea

Let's Talk About Ceps
I should have taken a photo after I'd cut into the steak, since it was still red in the middle, except because it was venison it was almost more a purple than a red.

A fruity-spicy Chilean merlot went down well with it.

Leo

that's eggs over easy: cook both sides but not enough to break the yolk.

Last edited:

Leo

tonight is a great veg version of General Tso’s Chicken, using baby Bella mushrooms in place of chicken. served with broccoli over forbidden rice, light sprinkling of sesame seeds over the top.