Leo

creamy broccoli and cauliflower soup with bits of stilton blended in, with crusty bread.

I think I'm in love with stilton.

IdleRich

IdleRich
Eating in our friends' bar again...

Duckling with almond risotto and fennel for me

20200108_225056.jpg

Cuttlefish and white bean stew with mussels for her

20200108_225102.jpg

Slothrop

Tight but Polite
Been a busy week, so limited cooking.

Tuesday was laundry - home alone and didn't have time to shop so just had pasta with garlic, oil and toasted panko breadcrumbs.
Wednesday is climbing wall night, so didn't even come home. Chicken and guacamole bap bought at lunchtime from a sandwich shop near the office.
Tonight was a bit more of a free night so I actually had the chance to cook properly - made something claiming to be an Afghan carrot hotpot (Qorma-e-Zardak) from a loosely Middle Eastern-themed veggie cookbook. Roasted broccoli and rice on the side. I'm not making any great claims for its authenticity, but it was about as good and hearty as you'd expect a big pan of carrots, tomatoes, lentils, onions and spices to be.

Mr. Tea

Let's Talk About Ceps
Why not eat before you go climbing?

Something really heavy, greasy, rich and spicy, to give you all the energy you need. Lamb vindaloo, something like that. Few pints to wash it down.

IdleRich

IdleRich
It's a very demanding sport I understand.
Snacking on salo again, on Russian rye bread with pieces of garlic, salt, pepper...

20200110_002718.jpg

IdleRich

IdleRich
Girlfriend ill so I cook. Something healthy - grilled salmon with asparagus and herby taters with fennel and garlic. Served with some sour cream.

20200112_225212.jpg

Leo

we have that near-exact dish probably a couple of times a month: quick, easy and tasty.

IdleRich

IdleRich
Yeah it's a good one. I was in trouble cos I bought the wrong cut of salmon, apparently that one near the tail is less fatty and (she reckons) less tasty, but luckily it was fine when we ate it.

Mr. Tea

Let's Talk About Ceps
Home-made bread still warm from the oven, buttered generously. Fried halloumi. Some tiny, sweet plum tomatoes with a little salt and pepper. The end of a bottle of very basic (but from Waitrose and therefore nonetheless drinkable) red wine, bought the other day for cooking with.

Actually really nice to eat something so simple, having been gorging a bit just recently on pizza, pies, casseroles, curries and whatnot.

Last edited:

version

I made a couple of burgers then DEVOURED a pizza from some local delivery place a few hours later.

Leo

roasted cauliflower Mac (penne, actually) and cheese with toasted panko breadcrumbs on top, watercress and tomato salad on the side.

are panko breadcrumbs great or what? they add a wonderful crunchy layer, great mouth feel.

Mr. Tea

Let's Talk About Ceps
I love the name. It's like a cross between 'hanky-panky' and 'rumpo'. It sounds so Jeeves & Wooster - "Things were going just swimmingly for me at Balliol until I was caught engaging in a bit of panko with the chaplain's daughter..."

DannyL

Wild Horses
I made cauliflower cheese a few nights ago and basically fucked up the sauce, due to using some fucking disgusting olive oil spread my partner insists on buying instead of butter and not being arsed to work out the proportions properly, it came out all lumpy. This made me insanely angry, so much so I threw it all away, went to the shop, got butter, and made a surprisingly nice sauce in the end. swearing all the whole time. Went full Gordon Ramsey. Surprised how angry/depressed it can get me when a meal goes all wrong. I think it's 'cos it's the one thing you're looking forwards to doing all day and so is disproportionately annoying when it doesn't work.

Last edited:

DannyL

Wild Horses
had it with sausages the first nice, deceont butcher's ones and Tescos Spicy Beanburgers the next (the best "veggie burgers").

Mr. Tea

Let's Talk About Ceps
I made cauliflower cheese a few nights ago and basically fucked up the sauce, due to using some fucking disgusting olive oil spread my partner insists on buying instead of butter and not being arsed to work out the proportions properly, it came out all lumpy. This made me insanely angry, so much so I threw it all away, went to the shop, got butter, and made a surprisingly nice sauce in the end. swearing all the whole. Went full Gordon Ramsey. Surprised how angry/depressed it can get me when a meal goes all wrong. I think it's 'cos it's the one thing you're looking forwards to doing all day and so is disproportionately annoying when it doesn't work.

Aargh, fake butter is the worst.

Leo

Surprised how angry/depressed it can get me when a meal goes all wrong. I think it's 'cos it's the one thing you're looking forwards to doing all day and so is disproportionately annoying when it doesn't work.

ha...we've all been there, Danny. one of my wife's memorable lines was when she once screwed up the measurements of some pasta dish and said "it's a pile of crap with shit on it", before storming out of the kitchen and locking herself in the bathroom for 10 minutes! even the cats were looking at each other, I imagine thinking "wtf, did something just happen?" we look back and laugh about it now, but it was not a laughing matter at the time, let me tell you!

Last edited: