IdleRich

IdleRich
Interesting, I wondered if it was gonna be like those gherkin sandwiches where they use the gherkin to replace the bread but it is in fact the negative of that. I remember that restaurant in NY that created that roasted watermelon thing where they treated it like a ham or steak or something - it was introduced to this huge fanfare and then there were all these breathless reviews of it and it did make my mouth water - but then loads of people went and tried it and wrote these blog posts about how it was totally disgusting which cooled my ardour a little.

Here it is in fact

watermelon-ham-today-main-180820_276091a1ec0db0e4f65bc43e298c7d67.1200;630;7;70;5.jpg

This is the gherkin thing I'm on about - I think it's a low carb alternative or something but maybe it could work

80784b2d-cc0f-4c72-94e5-eaca56e5eccb_1140x641.jpg

IdleRich

IdleRich
I really like pickles though. Well my girlfriend is something of a connoisseur - or at least thinks she is - and the ones they do in Russia are really quite sweet in comparison to the sharper ones you tend to get here. And I think she's right, when we do score some sweet ones from the Russian shop they are better - maybe that would work better in that sandwich type thing. Either way, my feeling is that when you eat something like that it's best not to think of it as a replacement for a sandwich but instead just to ask yourself if it's nice or not in its own right.
That's been the problem with a lot of things like veggie sausages and veggie burgers over the years I think - I don't know why they need to make them look like and taste as much like a sausage as possible (which until recently has been not that much at all) and thus compete with sausages, I think if they just said "here is a bean thing you can eat in a hotdog bun" or whatever then it would be more appetising, to me at least, but surely for vegetarians it would be less depressing... it can't be good to think that all of the stuff you eat is a shit attempt at being something you can't eat, much better to eat something which is just proudly its own thing.

linebaugh

That's been the problem with a lot of things like veggie sausages and veggie burgers over the years I think - I don't know why they need to make them look like and taste as much like a sausage as possible (which until recently has been not that much at all) and thus compete with sausages, I think if they just said "here is a bean thing you can eat in a hotdog bun" or whatever then it would be more appetising, to me at least, but surely for vegetarians it would be less depressing... it can't be good to think that all of the stuff you eat is a shit attempt at being something you can't eat, much better to eat something which is just proudly its own thing.
Yah the best vegan cheese Ive had didnt taste like it was trying to mimic cheese all that much and was much better for it. They've gotten very good at a few of the meats though. Particularly chicken, hamburger and taco meat.

luka

i dont do self rewards though. i think it is dangerous and pernicious.virtue is its own reward

Leo

super sweet, chewy orange and yellow candy often given out at halloween. the original is in small bits that look vaguely like kernels of corn, it appears this is a brand extension to replicate an entire turkey dinner.

speaking of halloween, can't imagine that's going to be a very big deal this year. kids going to other people's houses and accepting candy...hmm.

Last edited:

IdleRich

IdleRich
Ah I think I can sort of visualise it. Not sure it makes much sense as roast dinner flavours....
Tonight going for dinner at Mini Bar in Lisbon - not been before but looks nice

D14B25481.jpg

Think will try this tasting menu - dunno what a lot of it is but sounds interesting at least....

My rose 2017: apple, rose and lychee margarita
“Diamonds Are a Girl’s Best Friend”
Salmon nigiri with truffled yuzo cream
Avocado and trout roe shot
Coastal prawn ceviche and flowers with yuzo honey, tiger’s milk snow and lyo sweet corn
Foie gras with cotton candy and lyo raspberry
LT Yolk with artichoke cream, parmesan and truffle Cantonese style meagre, fermented beans and fennel
Massaman duck curry
“Passion fruit” with coconut sorbet

Leo

rich, is galeto still there? remember going there pretty late, think they closed at 3:30 am. food was ok but looks kind of cool with the snaking counter.

Mr. Tea

Let's Talk About Ceps
Muhfuggin' sirloin steak, doused in wild mushroom steak rub and cooked sous-vide before being shown a hot pan for 30 seconds, bitches.

Reactions: Leo