baboon2004

Darned cockwombles.
Yeah, it is. I've been taken aback by how good the standards are ...don't think I ever lived anywhere in London that was going through the same process. I'm enjoying it while I can, because I imagine when more places arrive, the standards will drop and the original places will become overwhelmed and maybe transform into something else.

Almirante Reis is the only street I know in Lisbon cos it was the one we stayed on. Great Japanese food.

Mr. Tea

Let's Talk About Ceps
Takeaway curry from our great local Goan place. I had my usual - a spicy one with white fish and tiger prawns, pilau rice and a Peshwari naan. (Yes I realise this is a bit like pairing Swedish meatballs with moussaka, I don't care, go away.)

Leo

homemade pea soup with crusty bread. after a few nights of eating out, it's nice to take a break with something uncomplicated. leftovers tomorrow.

DannyL

Wild Horses
Had a posh Co op pizza 'cos I had to work late. But was still hungry so scoffed a whole bag of beer nuts and fried a plantain with a hot green pepper (the kind you get in kebabs, not a bell pepper) and a tomato. Was lush. Filled a hole in a not too disgusting way. Plantains might be my future power food.

IdleRich

IdleRich
Went to the supermarket the other day to stock up but panic buying had done for most of the meat except for chicken meatballs... and wagyu beef.
So for a 3am snack we decide to cook it up. Pretty good but maybe we treated it too respectfully.

20200315_024611.jpg

20200315_025313.jpg

Leo

chickpea/garbanzo bean and cauliflower curry over kasmati rice, leftovers tonight. wife did some stress-relief baking, so chocolate chip cookies for dessert.

Mr. Tea

Let's Talk About Ceps
Proper trad chili con carne with a smidgen of dark chocolate in it. Might take some photos. Smells pretty good in the slow cooker right now.

Last edited:

IdleRich

IdleRich
We got so much food and booze in now, gonna be properly fat by the time the crisis is over. Just ate six of this German take on jaffa cakes.

IdleRich

IdleRich
True enough. I like to think that we're not exactly stockpiling as such, we've just got loads of food in the flat. It's a little lie to make ourselves feel better basically.
Anyway, I bought a load of stuff to make peanut butter blondies so can restock internally once we run out of biscuits.

IdleRich

IdleRich
Today we cooked a massive bluecheese and bean bake and a kind of meatball chilli type thing. Together they should make evening meals for three days... some other huge stew tomorrow and that should be six days sorted... just a year or two more to plan after that.

20200315_222608.jpg

20200315_223135.jpg

IdleRich

IdleRich
Using up loads of stuff at or near expiry today... some beef, some prawns... and our friend works in a restaurant that is gonna closed for some time and which dished out a load of fruit and veg to the staff, some of which he kindly passed on to us.
So, with what we had, we made two huge dishes which will probably be good for three or four servings each. What you need when you're on lockdown and can't get to the shops easily.
Starter - beef, lentil, tomato, carrot and leek soup.
Main - a kinda tagine of prawns marinated in blood orange and spices with couscous sweetened with melon. Really tasty and colourful.

BeefLentilStew.jpg

PrawnTagine.jpg

IdleRich

IdleRich
Fucking bacon sarnie on the balcony - loads of mayo, ketchup, yellow and black tomatoes, slices of raw onion and rocket - accompanied by a coffee and a clementine juice. Apparently the weather is going to take a turn for the worse soon so we might as well enjoy our little slice of outside while we can.

BaconSarnie.jpg

I made Liza's first, then I left my bacon in the oven to stay warm while I made mine thinking that I'd turned it off. Turned out I hadn't so I got extra-crispy bacon, thought it was all fucked up for a sec but it actually tasted delicious.

IdleRich

IdleRich
You can get this thick sliced pork with tasty fat from the supermarket. Heat it up and it's perfect for a toasted sandwich with tomatoes, rocket, mayo, onion chutney and pepper. Cup of tea and Curb Your Enthusiasm - most content I've been for a few days...

20200402_204139.jpg

Half an hour later back to coronastress I guess.

Leo

I joke that my wife used to be a classical composer cook -- plan out what she wants to serve days in advance, draw up the corresponding grocery list, go food shopping and make it -- but lockdown has transformed her into a free-jazz/improv cook. we go to the market with no plans because you can't count on what they will have in stock, buy a bunch of items and then pull together different elements each night for a one-off, unscripted dinner. this forced reality is so against her nature and she's admittedly out of her comfort zone but have to say it's gone pretty well so far. can't recall what we've had recently, but she pulled off a cauliflower and broccoli rabe pasta dish a few days ago that was great.

A culinary Derek Bailey.

IdleRich

IdleRich
Sounds pretty good.
You gotta take your pleasures where you can at the moment right? Feels like - even though people are doing all kinds of online concerts and so on - all our entertainment is coming through a screen at the moment. Food and reading are about the only exceptions so I'm trying to eke as much fun out of every meal as possible.

craner

Beast of Burden
If you are not already following Dave Stelfox's Food Odyssey on Instagram then you need to start now.

mistersloane

heavy heavy monster sound
MSG noodles with Pork Bone and Kelp soup

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/WviFA0f7ySg" frameborder="0" allow="accelerometer; autoplay; encrypted-media; gyroscope; picture-in-picture" allowfullscreen=""></iframe>

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/OA1pLCtZX2w" frameborder="0" allow="accelerometer; autoplay; encrypted-media; gyroscope; picture-in-picture" allowfullscreen=""></iframe>