IdleRich

IdleRich
Friends for dinner last night so three courses; French onion soup followed by beef stroganoff and then berries with mascarpone and demerara sugar.

Leo

your consistent effort and variety of dishes are impressive, rich. I'd have never suspected you (along with tea) would be the DotD frontrunner...don't take that the wrong way, I just imagined you'd be too distracted by going out/party life to spend time cooking. doubly impression that you manage to do both.

IdleRich

IdleRich
Hey thanks Leo... girlfriend is a big part of all that I gotta admit. There's loads of good food being shared here by everyone. Fun thread to distract from all the serious stuff.

luka

Red wine with Coke. Going to try and abuse everyone on the election thread tonight. I want it total collective emotional meltdown.

IdleRich

IdleRich
Actually you can get a pic of the soup cos there is some left. But yesterday it was served with bread floating in it and melted cheese on top.

20191212_184856.jpg

As for election night, gonna go to theatre to try and take my mind off it until results come in.

Leo

Red wine with Coke. Going to try and abuse everyone on the election thread tonight. I want it total collective emotional meltdown.

combined, or each in its own glass? and I don't imagine you mean small "c" coke, right?

go easy on everyone in the election thread, sensitive times. (I'm just trying to head off one of those periodic dissensus blowups that barty is so fond of.)

luka

I don't know if I'll do cocaine again. I mean, I will if it appears when I'm already very drunk but otherwise I don't think so.

Leo

local cuban restaurant last night, got a special: the cuban rubin. made like a traditional Cuban sandwich (thinly sliced roast pork, ham, cheese and pickles, pressed flat), but with corned beef and braised short ribs as the meat. two glasses of cabernet to ease the pain of world politics.

IdleRich

IdleRich
Yeah the situation is very bad, I am very hungover... read the exit polls during the interval and promptly downed two large glasses of wine. Anyway, onion soup for lunch, here in all its glory

20191213_151405.jpg

Slothrop

Tight but Polite
Roast vegetable madras from the Fresh India book, but with butternut squash, cherry tomatoes and peas rather than the recommended winter veg mix because the cornershop isn't great for winter veg. No rice / bread, but yoghurt and tamarind chutney on the side.

Leo

out again, truffle carbonara: cavatelli, poached egg, peas, percorino, pancetta. it was a byob place, so washed down with a cold bottle of Casal Garcia, our favorite cheap vihno verde.

hey rich, curious how much vihno verde goes for in Lisbon? Casal Garcia runs about $7 here, other brands up to around $12.

IdleRich

IdleRich
In supermarkets drinkable ones start about 1.99 - there may be some cheaper ones but I wouldn't advise em. In a restaurant maybe they start at about 5 euros, I'm not totally sure to be honest but it's normally the cheapest wine. In fact, come to think of it some places have it on tap with gas for the bubbles and that's even cheaper.

Slothrop

Tight but Polite
Cleared out the fridge / vegetable drawer a bit - carrot and sweet potato soup with feta crumbled onto the top.

Mellsman

Hello.

Lamb meatballs with coriander and cumin.
Baked with a tomato sauce and melted goat's cheese.
Pitta
Portuguese white.

Leo

Hello.

Lamb meatballs with coriander and cumin.
Baked with a tomato sauce and melted goat's cheese.
Pitta
Portuguese white.

welcome mellsman. not only does that dinner sound delicious, but I love that DotD is where you decided to post your first comment. more, please.