luka

It's thinking about the curry sauce at motorhome shows at the Peterborough showground that's done it to him

IdleRich

IdleRich
We just about to try this... thing we got from a supermarket. For some reason I can't seem to upload photos but basically I think it's like a Portuguese haggis except that it's a goat's stomach with goat meat and ham inside. You boil it with some meat which also comes with it and then serve it as you like. In our case with tatties, red cabbage and onion gravy.
I don't think this one is actually in a stomach, some synthetic replacement most likely.

IdleRich

IdleRich
No I was wrong, now it's boiling I can see it's made of stomach lining or something with weird hairs standing up as it cooks.

IdleRich

IdleRich
Oh yeah, I can't edit either. Which is a shame cos I realised I made a mistake above. It came with MINT not meat to boil with it.

Leo

rich, I'm a fairly adventurous eater but that gives even me some pause. not the most appetizing description!

Last edited:

IdleRich

IdleRich
I can't post pics but if you google maranho you should be able to read about it and see what it looks like.

Mr. Tea

Let's Talk About Ceps
Mention of haggis has reminded me that I should buy haggis more often than I do, which is practically never. Delicious stuff and you can legitimately eat it with a glass of scotch. Brilliant.

IdleRich

IdleRich
Made a massive fuck-off plov last night while Liza was meeting some potential venues... but she rolled in at 6am way too fucked to eat. Oh well, more today.

20191205_151935.jpg

Mr. Tea

Let's Talk About Ceps
Last night I cooked something based on a recipe my mum made up years ago, which is really simple and good. Her version involves just mixing chopped ham, spring onions and strong blue cheese (typically roquefort, but mature stilton is fine too) into mostly-cooked pasta (spaghetti, tagliatelle or similar) with some single cream and a little of the salted cooking water from the pasta. Stir through on a low heat for a few minutes to melt the cheese and finish cooking the pasta.

My version used smoked streaky bacon - really good thick stuff from a proper butcher's shop - cooked separately in a frying pan. I then used the bacon fat, plus some butter to cook some mushrooms (obvs). Then mixed with the rest of ingredients and the pasta, as described above. The cheese I used was dolcelatte just because I found some in Aldi that looked nice.

All you need for serving it is some black pepper.

pasta_bacon_shrooms.jpg

Mr. Tea

Let's Talk About Ceps
This evening we had a (bought) shepherd's pie with some steamed greens. Sorry to disappoint.

IdleRich

IdleRich
We went to an amazing Nepalese place with some friends today. Most of the "Indian" restaurants here tend to be Nepalese (as they're mainly Bangladeshi in London) and a lot of the time the menu is kinda the same as the ones we were used to in England with the addition of these little dumplings called momo which are great. Today though the place our friends took us to was a really little, homely and cheap place with a few dishes that were unknown to me and some more like Chinese food than curry. Eight euros each and we shared a load of dishes, it was the nuts.

Leo

too lazy to cook, so ordered our usual Japanese: edamame, shrimp shu mai, spicy salmon roll and shrimp tempura roll. we'll make more of an effort tomorrow.