luka

The Big Store is brilliant isn't it. And yeah the map is central to me. Like in versions thread about revealing the map. We instinctely spatialise the inner landscape of experience.

catalog

One of the things it's necessary to do is to rid yourself of the habit of little treats and rewards. It's very important to be able to go without patting yourself on the head every five minutes. No cigerette. No Mr Kipling fondant fancy. No afternoon pint. No letting up of discipline. Nothing. You don't need a reward and you don't deserve one. You're not a puppy dog that is being trained. You don't need a dog biscuit after doing a trick.

wellbeing agenda is all about the little rewards. you should do an alternative wellbeing manifesto luka

luka

wellbeing agenda is all about the little rewards. you should do an alternative wellbeing manifesto luka

Well it's not vastly different to the opening of nova express and presumably is very influenced by it.

catalog

The one thing I stuck at and finished through here was Paradise Lost, which was the best.

This year I actually got about a quarter into Ulysses then drifted off, even though I was loving it and becoming convinced it was the only book you'd need ever read.

Started The Waves last week and that got supplanted too fast to take hold, even though I found it fascinating.

i started paradise lost and was quite enjoying it, but then put it down and forgot about it. not read ulysses yet

catalog

He's brilliant at little phrases and stuff. Break through In grey room. All the stuff I've put in the tags. A bit like Mark e smith in that way. Little phrases that get stuck in your head.

Agreed. that's definitely his forte.

catalog

There are spaces we visit with their own characteristics peculiar to them.

this is sounding very much like alan moore and 'ideaspace'. i can't find the best place he talks about it, but he says something to the effect of 'i close my eyes and imagine the ideas a city, take a walk around them' etc

version

the shit bit i thought was really good in Gravity's rainbow is where he's talking about colonialism, and how the real reason for colonialism is the white man wanting to go back to a place where they can smell their own shit, that it's therefore about wanting to return in some way, like it's an admittance that all the 'progress' of europe is an iron cage. but i always thought that image he evokes was very good.

I've heard fascism described as colonialism directed inward.

catalog

"Word dust... The word broken pounded twisted exploded in smoke - "

I like how there's no punctuation apart from the hyphen. I bet he didn't even have a hyphen. Probably added by publisher.

version

I read all the notes in the back of my copy and it talked about stuff like that, confusion over whether he deliberately used certain punctuation, spellings etc. Apparently he insisted on English spellings of certain words, em dashes instead of ellipses, lowercase when using the term "I" in some instances.

catalog

I feel like it would make most sense as his original manuscript from the typewriter. This sort of writing doesn't feel right in a book. Should be loose pages strewn all over the floor, stuck together, torn, smudged.

catalog

I was going to write that the pages would be covered in jism, but thought it was a step too far. But of course they would be.

Blue sparks of glistening jism fly as pages pull apart - words shine burn to dust.

luka

Do you admire Mr. Luce?

BURROUGHS

I don't admire him at all. He has set up one of the greatest word and image banks in the world. I mean, there are thousands of photos, thousands of words about anything and everything, all in his files. All the best pictures go into the files. Of course, they're reduced to microphotos now. I've been interested in the Mayan system*, which was a control calendar. You see, their calendar postulated really how everyone should feel at a given time, with lucky days, unlucky days, et cetera. And I feel that Luce's system is comparable to that. It is a control system. It has nothing to do with reporting.
Time, Life, Fortune [now there's a trinity to ponder over] is some sort of a police organization.

WashYourHands

Cat Malogen
He’d do more than that.

Imagine a million images of Zuck being digitally vandalised facially, like his milk bar operation against the cheesecake makers who gave him food poisoning.