luka

There's definitely a way in which word operates as buffer between I and reality at large. The word crowds out the object. It dampens the impact and displaces the effect.

Last edited:

luka

The 'Prisoners, Come Out' section is one of my favourite bits in all of Burroughs. Kpunk loved it too. He used to quote 'love love love in slop buckets ' approvingly. It was definitely a big influence on his reading of Spinoza (Spinoza is far too difficult for me at present) as a way of reaching the cold windy bodiless rock and deprogramming yourself from all the dopamine hooks etc which have been sunk into your flesh. The cheap rewards with nasty payoffs.

'Pleasure' as a basic bribe or lure, bait, way to keep us trapped. It's a very useful idea. You can't live without it.

The garden of delights is a terminal sewer.

http://k-punk.abstractdynamics.org/archives/003875.html

Last edited:

luka

One of the things it's necessary to do is to rid yourself of the habit of little treats and rewards. It's very important to be able to go without patting yourself on the head every five minutes. No cigerette. No Mr Kipling fondant fancy. No afternoon pint. No letting up of discipline. Nothing. You don't need a reward and you don't deserve one. You're not a puppy dog that is being trained. You don't need a dog biscuit after doing a trick.

luka

The idea that control has found a way to contaminate the hallucinogenic drugs is also one which anyone with experience of those drugs will be familiar with. The idea for instance that the psychic space you enter is closely corallled, surveilled and monitored. That any breakthrough is registered by the psychic police. That it is too late. It no longer represents an exit hatch, no longer an escape to the outside.

luka

That it is a trap. In the same way that extremist message boards such as this one exist solely to identify and monitor dissidents and discontents.

version

In the society of the spectacle, Burroughs understood that "the real battle" is over the production of reality itself: of what counts as real in the first place. Given the balance of power in his rivalry with Time, Life and Fortune, cut-up methods were necessarily terroristic, waging asymmetrical warfare against a global media empire seeking to maintain what Luce had envisioned as a permanent American Century. In that context, Nova Express brilliantly dramatizes how cybernetic feedback could coincide with imperial blowback by reversing the function of Time magazine. For once the news is understood as not reporting the past but projecting the future, Burroughs reasoned that to physically reorder the news is to scramble the reality it produces...

luka

Identifying the magazines Life Time and Fortune with the monopolisation of those things is brilliant too. I absolutely love that. Trademarking life, time and fortune.

luka

"cut the enemy beam off your line"

This is somethjng I have very intense experiences of. Of something, someone, some spy, some agent, some malevolent force, some enemy, getting onto my line. Sometimes you can identify them and in so doing expel them. Sometimes it feels you can't shake them off. They've got their claws in too deep. Your'e contaminated. Evil squatting toad presences. Often these are the psychic projections of people you know, occupying your space, prying, looking for secrets to steal. Other times somethjng larger.

luka

In the society of the spectacle, Burroughs understood that "the real battle" is over the production of reality itself: of what counts as real in the first place. Given the balance of power in his rivalry with Time, Life and Fortune, cut-up methods were necessarily terroristic, waging asymmetrical warfare against a global media empire seeking to maintain what Luce had envisioned as a permanent American Century. In that context, Nova Express brilliantly dramatizes how cybernetic feedback could coincide with imperial blowback by reversing the function of Time magazine. For once the news is understood as not reporting the past but projecting the future, Burroughs reasoned that to physically reorder the news is to scramble the reality it produces...

Retake the Reality Studio.

luka

That's Mr Tea. His real name. I think he edited the letters too if I remember rightly.

version

"One of the sublimely ruthless (=machinically efficient) aspects of the behaviour of Aliens, predators and shoggoths from which the organism recoils in horror is their readiness to ditch body parts when they are damaged or redundant."

This sounds like something from the Morphosis thread. The internet does it all the time. How many formerly huge or important sites have disappeared over the years? Myspace was massive at one point.

luka

"One of the sublimely ruthless (=machinically efficient) aspects of the behaviour of Aliens, predators and shoggoths from which the organism recoils in horror is their readiness to ditch body parts when they are damaged or redundant."

This sounds like something from the Morphosis thread. The internet does it all the time. How many formerly huge or important sites have disappeared over the years? Myspace was massive at one point.

Good point