luka

you guys are forever complaining about people taking crudely literal readings of things

I don't think it's much of a tune either but come on those are like the laziest hot takes possible

We're just having a giggle mate. Just laughing at the fact there wasn't a concept behind it. Just a standard pop song except not that good.

padraig (u.s.)

a monkey that will go ape
like this is boring and pointless. it does nothing. that's why it sucks. actual gabber is 100000 times more interesting.

(no offense to the person behind it who I'm sure is very nice and well meaning)

padraig (u.s.)

I know you guys are having a laugh

I'm saying, it's pretty easy to be dismissive in that particular way. it's not as I'm aloof, I'm sure I've done the same thing many times.

sadmanbarty

if it sucks let's engage with it

I’ve done that with other music that’s not my cup of tea. My cartoon physics thread was me finding an angle to enjoy third’s top 100 to. I did a that stuff where I compared autecher to egon schiele.

So while I’m at all opposed to that generally, I’m uncomfortable doing it with this music because it’s playing into a con. It’s sad that all this dissensus energy and social media attention has been drawn out of music that’s a trick; just some ham fisted marketing.

I don’t want to be complicit in that.

So instead I say it’s poo

padraig (u.s.)

no, just lazy

it could be a reactionary way for someone to take the piss if they had that intent, but I don't think of yall that way at all

padraig (u.s.)

not my cup of tea
sure

I find this stuff more interesting than most threads on here

perhaps because it is so much about Art, substance vs appearance, the slippery nature of self-promotion, artistic vs personal identity, etc

it feels very now. which you might say is part of the con, and you might not be wrong.

SOPHIE at least does not feel like a con to me in any way.

sadmanbarty

Padraigs American so he doesn’t understand bitterness. He’s got beautiful white teeth. All his friends look like they’re from a coke advert. They sit around and get up to hi jinks with occasional good-natured joshing chucked in. They’re like Big Bang theory or friends.

He’s the Rachel of his group by the way.

Last edited:

sadmanbarty

He’s got friends with names like Zack and Aston. They wear t shirts over the top of long sleeves.

His life’s like a tony hawked game from 2002. He does grinds and stuff

padraig (u.s.)

she's clearly engaged with the source material, she's making music that works as music not just as means of disseminating a multimedia project

she's making something new from herself and her influences, rather than just picking over the bones of what came before

I'm not super into her music but makes whether I am or not it a case for itself in its own right

padraig (u.s.)

Padraigs American so he doesn’t understand bitterness. He’s got beautiful white teeth. All his friends look like they’re from a coke advert. They sit around and get up to hi jinks with occasional good-natured joshing chucked in. They’re like Big Bang theory or friends.

He’s the Rachel of his group by the way.
now this is how you take the piss

version

I like Lee Gamble's stuff and I often find when I come to the interviews he's speaking about things I've already picked up on just from engaging with the record. You can 'get' Diversions 1994-1996 without having to have it explained to you because it's all there in the music and the titles.

The last EP of his (and perhaps the new one too) you can't do that with. You can look up the titles and get what he's referencing there, but the overarching concept doesn't really reveal itself unless you go read all the press. Like this is the Boomkat write up...

Hypothesising on the idea of the ’Semioblitz’, in his own words: “the aggressive onslaught of visual & sonic stimuli of contemporary cities and virtual spaces”; the London-based Brummie offers a closer, yet more diffuse examination of the causes behind his ‘Mnestic Pressure’ album, which itself dealt more broadly with the hypermodern condition of sensory bombardment that anyone living in urbanised areas have felt and experienced, whether explicitly, or unknowingly and subconsciously.

Partly echoing Mark Fisher’s notions about the adverse links between capitalist realism and mental health, in concept and effect Lee’s 7 concise tracks feel to limn the exoteric soundsphere of life in dense city areas, shared spaces where we’re ubiquitously hammered with slogans, “seductive” advertising and even subliminal messaging such as the hyper directional speakers attached to billboards described in Steve Goodman’s essential ‘Sonic Warfare’ tome.

If those commonly accepted facets of everyday life can be considered as exerting a sort of sferic, psychic damage upon their recipients, Lee’s music can be heard to simultaneously diagnose and offers a sort of therapy for the condition. Using language of cinematic sound design, the dynamic of the street (the doppler effect, overheard conversations), and the reverberations of club music, the EP moves quick and slow, patiently yet swiftly flowing the gaseous olfactory/visual sonic synaesthetia of ‘Fata Morgana’ to the polytheistic ambient hyperrealism of ‘Many Gods, Many Angels’ via bittersweetly anxious arps of ‘Folding’, somehow soothingly brutal psychoacoustics in ‘BMW Shuanghuan X5’, and the paradoxical state of static flight in the rapid-eye electro flux of ‘In The Wreck Room’.

There isn't even a tune called 'semioblitz' on the record so it seems as though you're missing a huge chunk of what it's supposed to be about unless you lurk on Boomkat or happen to get the press release emailed to you.

sadmanbarty

They’re genuinely pleased for one another’s successes rather than seething my passive aggressive.

“Dude! That’s awesome” they’ll say before exchanging a hi five and a bro-hug.

padraig (u.s.)

They’re genuinely pleased for one another’s successes rather than seething my passive aggressive.

“Dude! That’s awesome” they’ll say before exchanging a hi five and a bro-hug.
that's one actually pretty accurate, besides the hi fives + hugs (it's the Midwest, we're too emotionally reserved for that)

I'm a bike courier, we all talk like surfers crossed with 90s rap slang, I say or text "word" probably 50 times a day

padraig (u.s.)

Diversions 1994-1996
that was one of the strongest cases I've had of wanting to like something more than I actually did

it was like only the ambient interlude parts of Omni Trio records, but not as good

it made me feel like, why am I not just listening to Omni Trio rn? or Rob Haigh's ambient/classical stuff, some of which is pretty boss

sadmanbarty

Maybe Americans don’t see through this music because they are a marketed people living marketed lives.

I had to keep doing these workshops with this American bloke and was horrified at the unrelenting amiablness. Always smiling. “What’s up, how are you?”. Laughing at everyone’s jokes. It was scary. Like if a white picket fence or a warm apple pie was a person.