The Art of Advertising

Leo

to use a horrible phrase, this is in my wheelhouse. but I feel a resistance to contributing, too overloaded with it all day at work. I come here to escape that world.

Corpsey

bandz ahoy
to use a horrible phrase, this is in my wheelhouse. but I feel a resistance to contributing, too overloaded with it all day at work. I come here to escape that world.

You can help me!

eyes-wide-shut-1999-013-tom-cruise-cult-circle.jpg

TAKE ME INTO THE CIRCLE

entertainment

This was directed by Ridley Scott. As with some of the others, Xbox telling people that life is short so they should spend more time playing Xbox, the irony here is probably intentional.

Corpsey, if you're looking for a historical account of the whole branding machine vs. the people battle for culture, then this is good: https://www.jstor.org/stable/10.1086/339922?seq=1#metadata_info_tab_contents

Can send it to you if you want. It's probably the best critical analysis of advertisement history I read before dropping out.

Leo

Apple's "1984" was also famous for being aired only once, during the Super Bowl that year. It was so unlike any other ad before it and made such a huge splash during the most watched annual TV event that it got written about in the press and discussed for months and years afterwards (all at no cost to Apple).

luka

yeah that sort of thing. shails and corpsey write copy. this sort of thing
Leo is in sales, so he places adverts with magazines and so on.
woebot does computer animations for big TV ad campaigns, stuff like Nike

version

i went that low. doing a job as "content creator" for an online magazine/portal. we had quota for the amount of articles we had to vomit out. it was terrible, completely drained me, made me feel unhuman, the worst was being schooled on how to come up with better clickbait titles. they fired me after 6 months and i'm glad they did. once, they literally asked me if i had the motivation and incentive to make it in the company or if i just want to go around and have fun (going to bars, and partys and hanging out they were implying).
This kind of falls under advertising, doesn't it? It's in the same territory.

yyaldrin

in je ogen waait de wind
This kind of falls under advertising, doesn't it? It's in the same territory.
ah yeh, i guess it does. it was to create as much traffic and interaction on the website as possible. they called it "seo", search engine optimalization, always thought it was pseudo-science but everybody thought you could somehow influence the google results.