patty's melancholic conservative politics

thirdform

pass the sick bucket
Point taken. Will try to reduce my harping.

Just share tunes! I'm sure you've got knowledge some others of us don't.

Just, y'know, not too ECM and not too dadrock. :) but proper jazz/funk/soul with kickin beats, by all means I'm well into that stuff.

Leo

hmmmm. good question that. well his new stuff is less to the point i guess, a bit deeper, i actually did like his dabblings in bassier territories, lord of 39 pounds etc. the stuff he was putting out in 1996-1997 was a bit crazy, but in terms of hitting you in the face there's not much like brown by august era that is hard as nails but still retains a chicago funk feel.

yeah, the peacefrog stuff is bonkers. i remember buying the "m.cap" ep way back when and loving how at the end he slipped in this highly atypical loop thing:

thirdform

pass the sick bucket
Isn't it partly because nothing new seems to have happened since Boiler Room? There isn't really anything new to rail against. It's still Google, Amazon, Facebook, Spotify, Boiler Room et al., the same lot from a decade or so ago.

yeah but that's just asking for it isn't it. you're like saying, please sell me something I can get into.

thirdform

pass the sick bucket
yeah, the peacefrog stuff is bonkers. i remember buying the "m.cap" ep way back when and loving how at the end he slipped in this highly atypical loop thing:

yeah it was actually quite a good time for all that no skool/edinburgh/ugly funk techno sound. Jerome Hill was one of the djs who got me into techno properly, after the obligatory classics obvs.

thirdform

pass the sick bucket
I get the feeling that with the internet that we're in this limbo where it's revolutionised music consumption and access to music, and it's day 1 after the revolution. so what do we do now. and i just think, maybe the thing is to just let things flow rather than force a template necessarily.

thirdform

pass the sick bucket
Whats a better request to make? Or action to take?

take a long duration view of music with peaks and ebs. you said it yourself. people sing songs that are 300 years old in Morocco or whatever. yet when that's the case here with people listening to 30 year old jungle records, everyone gets jaded. it really confuses me.

thirdform

pass the sick bucket
you can't have revolutions in music without the slow, tedious painstaking evolution of music that the sudden cataclysmic rupture breaks from. I feel like we're in that pretty incrimental, evolutionary stage now. we have to wait for the bomb to drop.

thirdform

pass the sick bucket
think of the major revolutions in dance music for instance.

acid house: accident.
bleeps and bass: accident.
92 chipmunk ardkore: accident.
darkside: fucking about, accident.
2step: accident from house.
dark garage: accident from garage.
grime: accident from 2step.

etc etc etc.

version

yeah but that's just asking for it isn't it. you're like saying, please sell me something I can get into.

Fair point.

Likewise the following.

I get the feeling that with the internet that we're in this limbo where it's revolutionised music consumption and access to music, and it's day 1 after the revolution. so what do we do now. and i just think, maybe the thing is to just let things flow rather than force a template necessarily.

take a long duration view of music with peaks and ebs. you said it yourself. people sing songs that are 300 years old in Morocco or whatever. yet when that's the case here with people listening to 30 year old jungle records, everyone gets jaded. it really confuses me.

thirdform

pass the sick bucket
ultimately, we need to abandon the nuum. as an intellectual theory, it was never ours to begin with. it was just a continuous thing, totally self-evident. but it's always been the state of music journalism, even in its glory day for dance music in the 90s, that it's been absolutely terrible. I don't think this is a new thing at all. some of those mixmag/music mag reviews from the 90s are some of the worst pieces of writing I've read in my entire life. like with all respects to blissblogger he isn't really talking to us, (not out of neglect but because he's tuned into same frequency as us) in his own way he was in the 90s talking to todays goldsmiths equivalents. that's an important thing. and I definitely think Bliss is a great writer.

Last edited:

firefinga

Isn't it partly because nothing new seems to have happened since Boiler Room? There isn't really anything new to rail against. It's still Google, Amazon, Facebook, Spotify, Boiler Room et al., the same lot from a decade or so ago.

The 2010s. A stagnant decade.

version

That Ballard quote from the bored thread seems appropriate.

"I would sum up my fear about the future in one word: boring. And that’s my one fear: that everything has happened; nothing exciting or new or interesting is ever going to happen again. . . the future is just going to be a vast, conforming suburb of the soul."

thirdform

pass the sick bucket
just wanted to say whilst the whole fascist bit was a bit of exasperated anger by politics i didn't mean you are a tory or back traditionalism but more the kind of things were better back then what have we lost worldview. By all means that's not invalid at all, i just feel the forum is overloaded with it.

yyaldrin

in je ogen waait de wind
just wanted to say whilst the whole fascist bit was a bit of exasperated anger by politics i didn't mean you are a tory or back traditionalism but more the kind of things were better back then what have we lost worldview. By all means that's not invalid at all, i just feel the forum is overloaded with it.

isn't that because a lot of the people here are a bit old? it's a bit of a thing that all old people say right?

luka

There's ten years difference between them I think? Third nudging 30 patty nudging 40