Laughter

version

What is it? Where does it come from? Why's it so difficult to control? What's its function? Why does it feel good? Why's it so infectious? Why can't you fake it?

version

Nervous laughter and smiling is a strange one. For some reason it can be really funny if someone's deadly serious.

yyaldrin

in je ogen waait de wind
the best is when you're not allowed to laugh, let's say in a class room, or in the office during a meeting. the suppression makes the urge even bigger.

version

I have a great memory of being in assembly at school and a mate in the row in front turning round when everyone was silent and going "Boys. Boys. Boys!" then doing a stupidly loud fart. A few of the teachers stood to the side were shushing us, some of them were trying not to laugh and it fucking stank too so like three rows of us were all bright red, coughing, eyes watering, desperately trying not to laugh.

Halcyon days.

muser

In social situations it's very rare for people to actually laugh at something funny, it's a kind of social lubrication.

baboon2004

Darned cockwombles.
In social situations it's very rare for people to actually laugh at something funny, it's a kind of social lubrication.

So true. Confluence, innit. Is the laughter in the eyes or not? Social lubrication, forming bonds, and/or often avoidance of feeling. Many a tragic tale is told as comedy.

What I can't tell is how culturally determined this is. It seems to exist in most cultures I've seen.

luka

Few things more disgusting than watching work colleagues outside the pubs after work doing that laugh, hahahahah, why am I drinking with these cunts I spend all week with in that fucking office that I hate hahahahaha

Corpsey

bandz ahoy
"What makes human beings laugh? Not just gaiety or irony. That laughter banishes seriousness is a misconception often made by the humourless - and by that far greater multitude, the hard of laughing, the humorously impaired or under-gifted. Human beings laugh, if you notice, to express relief, exasperation, stoicism, hysteria, embarassment, disgust and cruelty."

Mr. Tea

Let's Talk About Ceps
Few things more disgusting than watching work colleagues outside the pubs after work doing that laugh, hahahahah, why am I drinking with these cunts I spend all week with in that fucking office that I hate hahahahaha

Misanthropic luka, best luka!

muser

So true. Confluence, innit. Is the laughter in the eyes or not? Social lubrication, forming bonds, and/or often avoidance of feeling. Many a tragic tale is told as comedy.

What I can't tell is how culturally determined this is. It seems to exist in most cultures I've seen.

I think it's deep in the lizard brain, like the uncontrollable laughter on psychadellics it's not funny your lizard brains going into overdrive. Nothing is funny really.

woops

is not like other people
I've been listening to the Fall a lot lately and Mark E Smith is one of the few vocalists I can think of who will break into laughter midline

version

trump never laughs. think about it, he never does.

Yeah, I can't even imagine how his laugh would sound. Whenever something's funny he just smiles and says "that's great" or "terrific" or something.