Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Lost Highway (1997)

Quote Originally Posted by version View Post
    Were either of you into any of it?
    Yeah with reservations. I hated the Guinness advert surrealism of episode 8. You?

I never liked that advert. It feels like someone parodying Lynch, the duck head thing seems too knowingly 'weird'.

I liked bits and pieces of the third season, some of it was a little patience testing. My favourite thing about it was probably the sound, the crackling power lines, that kettle thing Bowie's trapped inside that makes his voice sound all weird with those huge bass notes.

I never liked that advert. It feels like someone parodying Lynch, the duck head thing seems too knowingly 'weird'.
    I love it exactly bc of the duck. A duck welcoming you to the htird place, so heartwarming.

Season 3 to me felt like a guy who was playing with the expectations of his audience who were all begging for a follow up. Thinking of it as a continuation of the OG (which is one of my top 3 TV series ever) didn't work. As a self contained thing it was interesting but idk if I'll be rewatching anytime soon. The OG I can watch whenever.
    Took a rest stop that wasn't on the schedule

The theory that the symbol for "Judy" in the third season is the FBI crest flipped upside down intrigued me.

7on5woa5y4nz.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by pattycakes_ View Post
    Season 3 to me felt like a guy who was playing with the expectations of his audience who were all begging for a follow up. Thinking of it as a continuation of the OG (which is one of my top 3 TV series ever) didn't work. As a self contained thing it was interesting but idk if I'll be rewatching anytime soon. The OG I can watch whenever.
    It felt very different, different even to Fire Walk with Me and his later stuff. I mostly remember it as a series of moments rather than a full TV series too. It was so strangely paced, so many loose ends - what the fuck was going on with Jerry Horne and his foot in the woods?

Quote Originally Posted by luka View Post
    I think it might be better. The first time I watched mulholland drive I loved it, second it seemed a bit stupid.
    I fell in love with Naomi Watts after seeing it. I wasn't married yet, so it was cool.

9. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Leo For This Useful Post:

It's moments that really stick with Lynch anyway, imo, what with all the 'dream logic' in his stuff. He just has a knack for coming up with very powerful images, like the way the dealer gets his head stuck on the glass table in Lost Highway at that weird angle.

I think he was fucking with us. Making sure to give us the opposite of what we wanted in true artist with integrity style. But maybe he cut his nose off to spite his face? That's just my own interpretation
    Took a rest stop that wasn't on the schedule

He's never struck me as that cynical. Every interview I've seen with him he's always come across as incredibly earnest and almost oblivious to how other people view what he does.

It's funny he started out as a painter, that's what he really wanted to be, but his paintings are pretty awful.

It's moments that really stick with Lynch anyway, imo, what with all the 'dream logic' in his stuff. He just has a knack for coming up with very powerful images, like the way the dealer gets his head stuck on the glass table in Lost Highway at that weird angle.
    Very true, and allot of it is as you say quite subtle things which make it more surreal and vivid in the mind. On other end of the scale this scene always stuck in my mind for it's absurd surrealism, not even sure if it's intentional, Lynch trying to do comedy.

15. The Following User Says Thank You to muser For This Useful Post:

The actor who played Andy was just some guy Lynch had as a driver for an event. He seems to meet people and have these instantaneous responses where he has to cast them in something.
    Last edited by version; 19-10-2019 at 04:19 AM.

He's never struck me as that cynical. Every interview I've seen with him he's always come across as incredibly earnest and almost oblivious to how other people view what he does.
    transcendental meditation and 'mitts off r money', though.
    he has like one trick and it's 'subtle wrongness'
    Last edited by other_life; 19-10-2019 at 03:06 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by luka View Post
    It says bless the lads and it means bless the lads.
    Quote Originally Posted by sadmanbarty View Post
    i don't know, probably some marxist cultural theory or something
    Quote Originally Posted by thirdform View Post
    gabber terrorism is fun but not all the time, sometimes you gotta be sophisticated or sulky for the ladies.
    https://manifestacionesoterica.bandcamp.com/

18. The Following User Says Thank You to other_life For This Useful Post: