actually ransid parts of dance music/nuum

thirdform

pass the sick bucket
I don't mean techstep or dubstep or artcore or whatever luke fancies slating whilst admitting he doesn't even listen to music anymore (not that his slatings aren't totally invalid.)

I mean, actual shit that is politically and socially ransid.

I'll start: those funky house circle nights, over 23s, give your home address, west end crowd, no no we don't want MCs, 'we're all middle class here, none of that aggro!' Our stuff is more 'intelligent than funky', we choose tracks where people can sing, we called ourselves the circle because deja vu got sick of our elite tune sharing! love that exclusivity.

Arguably the prelude to post-dubstep originating from within our own pirate radio networks, and if not made totally irrelevant would have been far worse than goldsmiths blubstep.

Last edited:

Corpsey

bandz ahoy
I don't think Circle had much/anything to do with post dubstep did it? Post dubstep was more techno's fault IMO

I downloaded a set from one of those Circle nights at Plastic PPL and it was right up my street lol

luka

I don't think that was about being middle class. The working class is a huge chunk of society and not at all homogenous, it contains multiple income bands and a whole range of attitudes, aspirations, political affiliations etc etc. Lots of the working class want to avoid sharing a dance floor with volatile lunatics, hair trigger psychos willing to stab you for stepping on their trainers.

Lots of the working class want a scene that excludes that element, and for obvious reasons.

luka

Social snobbery exists within the working class just as it exists everywhere else

thirdform

pass the sick bucket
look at u lot making excuses just not to be self-critical! 🔫 techno ruined everything then corpse eh? I thought soul was cancelled?

thirdform

pass the sick bucket
I don't think that was about being middle class. The working class is a huge chunk of society and not at all homogenous, it contains multiple income bands and a whole range of attitudes, aspirations, political affiliations etc etc. Lots of the working class want to avoid sharing a dance floor with volatile lunatics, hair trigger psychos willing to stab you for stepping on their trainers.

Lots of the working class want a scene that excludes that element, and for obvious reasons.

sure, but lots of the working class outside of London also like techstep, acid tekno and breaks. I'm trying to start a self-crit thread here, don't turn into a melancholic romantic fascist! let's name and shame the entryists who led to post-dubstep.

Corpsey

bandz ahoy
Well, it wasn't house snobs in buttoned up shirts that made "post-dubstep", it was scruffy student types - people who, if anything, got into house THROUGH dubstep.

thirdform

pass the sick bucket
I don't think Circle had much/anything to do with post dubstep did it? Post dubstep was more techno's fault IMO

I downloaded a set from one of those Circle nights at Plastic PPL and it was right up my street lol

love how this post contradicts itself. still i rate you exposing droid and co. as happy hardcore fans the other day. :D :crylarf:

luka

Obviously any attempt to retain the sonic signifiers while reconstituting the social make up of a scene is doomed to fail

thirdform

pass the sick bucket
Well, it wasn't house snobs in buttoned up shirts that made "post-dubstep", it was scruffy student types - people who, if anything, got into house THROUGH dubstep.

yeah but house snobs in buttoned up shirts have been students since new labour times anyway! the essex geezers are now on like vision radio playing their old 90s garage collections on and on. which i love but we gotta be honest. Also I like my buttoned up shirts and am a militant hard techno raver.

thirdform

pass the sick bucket
the worst. absolute worst. at least the aquasky/glr stuff has a strong bassline. this is just a bit of piss weak journalist muzak.

vomit. :( :eek:

this was always the reactionary poptimism in dance music ready to make it identical to classic rock. in fact this is the classic rock jungle anthem by now.

Last edited:

thirdform

pass the sick bucket
if it wasn't for this abomination post-dubstep would have never happened. fact. garage for stepford wives and suburbanites. revolting and bedingfield trying to be a gay diva is :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: in the extreme.

luka

The pop tendencies in garage lead to eg sweet like chocolate or right before my eyes which operate in opposition to the el-b middlebrow tendencies. Where those two tendencies, pop and middlebrow, converge is a space called MJ Cole.

Corpsey

bandz ahoy
The pop tendencies in garage lead to eg sweet like chocolate or right before my eyes which operate in opposition to the el-b middlebrow tendencies. Where those two tendencies, pop and middlebrow, converge is a space called MJ Cole.

Ignoring my passive aggressive thread eh?