DaBaby

Corpsey

bandz ahoy
Favourite rap stuff I've heard lately...

Vocally he's like one of them Migos blokes meets T.I. Beats bang. What's not to like?

Luka reckons he's a comedy rapper but likes one freestyle he did.

Corpsey

bandz ahoy

I like these beats he's (seemingly often on) very minimal not much hats almost a throwback to west coast proto gangsta rap

thirdform

pass the sick bucket
decent beats but just empty. not sure what I'm supposed to feel. I don't think he's comedy just empty. can take or leave.

thirdform

pass the sick bucket
It's a kind of yeah, this bangs kind of thing but why am i listening to it really. the flows are just routine by this point, I don't really hear him trying to break that Migos grid. nice radio/car speaker music.

Corpsey

bandz ahoy
Agreed it's not breaking the wheel

Didn't expect to like it just stuck on Da Baby playlist on Spotify and got a nice surprise

thirdform

pass the sick bucket
I thought emptiness was your thing!

Unsentimental. Harsh. No bougie illusions.

For instrumental electronic music certainly but I like my hip hop to take me places and/or have really really killer beats. DaBaby has none of those, but it's not bad, just leaves me chronically disinterested.

thirdform

pass the sick bucket
Agreed it's not breaking the wheel

Didn't expect to like it just stuck on Da Baby playlist on Spotify and got a nice surprise

By empty I don't mean realism or despair or gazing into the void and it gazing back at you with a demonic glare, i mean just a lack of content to engage with. which is sort of the point, it's club rap ultimately, and given I don't go clubbing anymore...

forclosure

i mean hes what the 2nd rapper of note from the Carolinas after....Peaty Pablo

but yeah as far as my rappers with "Baby" id rather go with Sada who the string of youtube videos hes been putting out are stellar and every new one that comes out is a minor event

forclosure

Like ive seen people compare him to Redman cause on the surface they both have the crouching goofball hidden technical wizard thing going on, but Reggie was always a far more versatile rapper than most people think hes more from the school of "give me a beat and not only will i rap over it ill destroy it" especially considering he did a track with Roni Size and one time did a freestyle over the witness the fitness beat, Gunplay or Vic Spencer i feel thats more aplicable too.

Dababy only really raps on one kind of beat and he raps well enough and with enough "effort" for people to get this idea that hes got bars but he doesnt not really. Its similiar to Migos as mentioned before but you also got Cdot Honcho or even Dave East and im gonna say it Pusha T who certain guys who cry about rap not being about lyrics anymore say they can rap but not really.

CrowleyHead

Yeah his strength is really the Jetson beats for me.

There's a sense of fun which is cool but it's also a sort of... I note Corpse being like "YEAH MAN, BASS IN HIS VOICE, NO AUTOTUNE!" and you see he fulfills a sort of comfort food for older rap fans who suffer from burn out (Megan thee Stallion does similar in her way). Not doing my usual Corpse bullying b/c I've seen similar sentiments elsewhere. It's just interesting to watch that be a selling point and I'm not sure if I trust it fully.

Corpsey

bandz ahoy
To me his strength is his voice (bass or not), his charisma and confidence. The lyrics are good enough for me. I'm not after 'bars'.

Dunno about the Redman comparisons but the similarity there for me is the space his voice occupies, its unignorable.

Last edited:

thirdform

pass the sick bucket
To me his strength is his voice (bass or not), his charisma and confidence. The lyrics are good enough for me. I'm not after 'bars'.

Dunno about the Redman comparisons but the similarity there for me is the space his voice occupies, its unignorable.

Struggling to interface with this. If I don't want deep 'bars' I'll stick on Young Jeezy etc. but the beatsand the party exhortations make it for me. what makes lil jon also great is all those coral call and response ways of rapping with the vaguely punishing/high tech electro beats. I'm not sure how you can not really be a beats man and simultaneously not be about bars either. It doesn't make sense to me. you have to make a choice. and with most mainstream rap after eminem the first thing i listen to are the beats/instrumentals and (/) how the voice interfaces with the production.