Burn the Soothsayers! Kill the Storytellers!

version

There's a lot of talk of 'narratives' these days, particularly when it comes to politics, and it's often quite jarring to have one crumble before your eyes, so my question(s) is: how helpful do you find them? Are you setting yourself up for disappointment and failure by ever really investing in one? Is it better to hold back and just observe things as they occur? Is that even possible?

version

I've lost count of the number of times I've read an account of something then seen it come crashing down within the space of a few minutes -- it can feel like an endless process of rushing from one collapsing building into another at times.

mvuent

Void Dweller
Is it better to hold back and just observe things as they occur? Is that even possible?

even if you assume that it is possible to some extent, it seems like a very psychologically uncomfortable position to occupy? maybe stoicism advocates something like that. do you think it's possible? or at least a good ideal?

I guess I'm somewhat in that position. following national politics is a waste of time if you're in the US. it's such a farce and you can't do anything on that level.

Last edited:

version

even if you assume that it is possible to some extent, it seems like a very psychologically uncomfortable position to occupy? maybe stoicism advocates something like that. do you think it's possible? or at least a good ideal?

I mean, politically speaking. I'm somewhat in that position.

I think you'd have to be vigilant and exceptionally disciplined, but even then I'm not sure it's possible. You'd probably have to completely eliminate curiosity and somehow stop yourself from seeing any sort of patterns and associations, both consciously and unconsciously.

I notice it quite a bit with even trivial things. You see an article posted on Reddit and people will leave comments saying "let me guess" then detailing what they assume is in the article when they could just read it and find out. They have to preempt it for some reason.

mvuent

Void Dweller
I was just going to say that always happens. most people on reddit believe they are "smart but lazy" and don't ready the actual articles. but the ones who do...

other_life

bioconfused
can i take this thread to talk ab how wild and wacky ginzberg's 'legends of the jews' is re:Narrative more generally. the type of the storyteller

mvuent

Void Dweller
can i take this thread to talk ab how wild and wacky ginzberg's 'legends of the jews' is re:Narrative more generally. the type of the storyteller

no because I haven't read it. you'll have to stick with references to either ender's game or thomas nagel's what is it like to be a bat?

pattycakes_

Can turn naughty
As impressive as that would be o_l, I think it would take away from what is set to be another classic thread by version