Did the clocks just go back?

Leo

we say "spring ahead, fall back."

I used to sometimes continue to get up at the same time when the fall change happens, effectively getting an extra hour in the morning to do stuff. but it didn't last because I didn't want to go to bed an hour earlier, so I'd get tired (or bored) and eventually give in to the new actual time.

luka

If I asked for instructions on how to wipe my arse i'd expect someone to answer.

yyaldrin

in je ogen waait de wind
one bloody hour

A look back at history can help us make the right decision. The idea of daylight saving time was first implemented by the last German emperor, Wilhelm II. When millions of soldiers were slaughtered in the bloody trench warfare of the First World War and German armament factories faced fuel shortages, he had the clocks switched to summer time on April 30, 1916. The aim was to save energy, in order to be able to continue the war. Germany's opponents, Great Britain and France, followed suit during the same year. But summer time – already unpopular with contemporaries – was abolished again in 1919.

In 1940, summer time was reintroduced by the Nazis under Adolf Hitler – for the same reason as in 1916. His dictatorial brethren, Italy's Benito Mussolini and Spain's Francisco Franco, followed suit with their country's clocks, and the Nazis forced much of Europe to change as well. 1949 saw the end of that experiment. In 1980, at the time of the second oil crisis, the summertime changing of the clocks was revived in both parts of then-divided Germany. Since 1996, daylight saving time has applied in all EU member states.

baboon2004

Darned cockwombles.
The nazi alignment of Spain's clocks is very weird because it's so far west. So many summer evenings where the sun doesn't set until after 10pm.

I believe it is periodically a hot political issue there.