What will be the result of the upcoming GE?

• Conservative majority

Votes: 6 30.0%
  • Conservative minority

Votes: 4 20.0%
  • Labour majority

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Labour minority

• The Lib Dems are a force for evil

Votes: 2 10.0%
  • Fuck the lot of em, we're going to to hell in a handcart

• Total voters

Leo

So does trump but he's still president.

but that all came to the surface after he was elected. one could argue trump did exhibit leadership in the campaign: he identified an audience and a need, crafted a succinct message, rallied audiences who previously never bothered to get involved and motivated them to vote for him.

leadership doesn't always have to be for the good.

subvert47

I don't fight, I run away
leadership is more than just believing in something, it's being able to articulate a vision that rallies people, motivates them to join in and work together to make what you believe in actually happen.

Corbyn can do all that in spades. Hence the massive increase in Labour membership that followed his election as leader.

But personally I don't really give a shit about leaders. It's Labour policies that count.

baboon2004

Darned cockwombles.
https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2010/apr/30/the-liberal-moment-has-come

"(30/04/2010) General election 2010: The liberal moment has come:
If the Guardian had a vote in the 2010 general election it would be cast enthusiastically for the Liberal Democrats...it is the Liberal Democrats who have most consistently argued that cause in the round and who, after the exhaustion of the old politics, reflect and lead an overwhelming national mood for real change."

Never forgive, never forget. A toxic party.

(and yeah, I know the article is more nuanced than the part I quoted, but fuck it, it's campaigning season and nuance can go to hell)

Last edited:

Mr. Tea

Let's Talk About Ceps
Austerity. Extreme market capitalism.

Unless a miracle occurs, we're not going to get Brexit instead of those things. We're going to get Brexit as well as those things.

Further, any UK government could, at any time, reverse those austerity policies overnight. Brexit will be permanent.

IdleRich

IdleRich
Unless a miracle occurs, we're not going to get Brexit instead of those things. We're going to get Brexit as well as those things.

Further, any UK government could, at any time, reverse those austerity policies overnight. Brexit will be permanent.
Yeah and extreme capitalism isn't a policy as such in the same way, it's just the position we've drifted to over the years. Brexit is going to be a one-off (almost) irreversible move that will damage the country for generations to come and which will usher in austerity and capitalism the like of which we've never previously seen. But silly to argue about which bad thing is worse, we all agree they're all bad I'm sure.

But personally I don't really give a shit about leaders. It's Labour policies that count.
Well if everyone was like you. Unfortunately, most of them, if not actual morons are surprisingly resistant to this simple idea. Though let me reiterate, I hope to be proven embarrassingly wrong.

luka

Where's mystic Craner and his customary prophecies? Can't have a vote with Craner telling us what's about to happen?p

DannyL

Wild Horses
Hey, I made a prediction at the opening of thread. Can't I be Craner? I'm also middle aged/have flouncey hair/big fan of Luther Vandross

DannyL

Wild Horses
Have to say I will really laugh like a drain if Johnson loses in a humiliating fashion. A career of lying and evading consequences coming back to bite him.

I suspect we'll see Corbyn absolutely blow Johnson out the water on a common touch/campaigning front as well.

Last edited:

luka

Hey, I made a prediction at the opening of thread. Can't I be Craner? I'm also middle aged/have flouncey hair/big fan of Luther Vandross

That's true actually. Glasses too. You need to work on that Ilford accent though. Cultivate a metropolitan drawl.

IdleRich

IdleRich
There IS plenty of ammunition against Johnson and the Tories. If they - Labour - concentrate on showing the numerous categorical statements he made on camera which have been contradicted by his later actions (ie undeniable lies) along with his failures in parliament (more defeats than any other leader I think) and his abject failure to deliver on his one promise when he took power it should get through. Combine that with the likely dissolution of the union if his deal goes through (ought to be a big one for Tories) and the projected financial disasters of Brexit (Times reporting that it will cost the UK seventy five billion a year). There is loads and loads more of this cos that's just off the top of my head - wrap it up in a catchy slogan such as "Ditch means ditch" and there ought to be a reason there for almost anyone who is paying attention to hate the Tories. Ought being the important word sadly. I dunno if any of it will defeat the old "Corbyn is an anti-semitic terrorist communist" rhetoric which will be wheeled out again and injected with steroids.

version

To win the election, rather than uniting the people, one source said, Johnson’s Conservative Party wants to tap into divisions over the EU, hoping to fire up voters who backed leaving by offering them an early taste of the so-called “Brexit dividend” - for example, funding promised for healthcare from savings generated by quitting the EU.

It is a narrative that pits those who back Brexit against the “establishment” - parliament, the courts and big business - which Johnson says is trying to frustrate the “will of the people”.

“It’s the outsiders versus the insiders,” said one veteran party member.

It involves making a play for English regions which traditionally vote for the opposition Labour Party but also back leaving the EU, in order to counter a challenge from the Brexit Party led by veteran eurosceptic Nigel Farage.

According to one source, the party will focus on around 40 constituencies, or voting districts, in central and northern England which voted to leave the EU.

Another Conservative campaigner said highly effective social media campaigning used in the 2016 referendum was also being deployed - resulting in one lawmaker being contacted by 200 voters he did not have in his database.

https://uk.reuters.com/article/uk-b...hes-high-risk-election-strategy-idUKKBN1X9145

version

The thing with stuff like this is you don't even know whether it's true or simply more misinformation fed to the press to muddy the waters. Every source cited is unnamed.

DannyL

Wild Horses
I would generally trust Reuters to be telling the truth. They're credible (to me anyway). What in that piece is weird anywa? The only new bit of information (to me) is that they will focus on 40 specific seats.

The social media thing - Idk, why would that work particularly well in a general election? I don't think it's a magic bullet compared to traditional GTVO strategies. I wonder about this with the Tories I have to say, no idea if they have a strong activist base left (but I've always lived in the city far from the "inbred scum" or whatever Baboon was calling them). Lab do have that strongly motivated base though.

Last edited: