What will be the result of the upcoming GE?

• Conservative majority

Votes: 6 30.0%
  • Conservative minority

Votes: 4 20.0%
  • Labour majority

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Labour minority

• The Lib Dems are a force for evil

Votes: 2 10.0%
  • Fuck the lot of em, we're going to to hell in a handcart

• Total voters

DannyL

Wild Horses
Johnson has been shooting for a "people vs Parliament" election from the off. Stymied mostly due to, ironically enough, Parliament.

version

I don't think there's anything controversial in there, I'm just wary of unnamed Tory sources offering up their election strategy like that. Why would you let people know what you're going to do before you do it?

DannyL

Wild Horses
I think it's kinda obvious that's the strategy. Has been for a while. Brexit was the same. I'm reading Peter Pomerantsev's new book atm. He writes about how old groupings are now so broken up that the would be powerful need ill defined broad notions of "the people" to justify whatever courses of action they're going to take. I'm not surprised to see Johnson try and employ this. Horrendous cunt.

version

I'm just so skeptical of any information coming from the Tories at this point that I assume anything willingly offered is some sort of ruse.

john eden

male pale and stale
Probably a hung parliament or very narrow win for either Labour or Tories.

So the Brexit party / Lib Dems / SNP will hold quite a lot of sway. Hard to know exactly how many seats the former two will get though.

Everybody is sick of Brexit so it will be interesting to see if Labour can make the election to be about something else. They certainly seem to be the ones with the ideas and the optimism at the moment but that may just be my bubble.

The tories seem incapable of bribing the electorate so it will be interesting to see what they pull out of the bag. Presumably fear mongering and a vague little Englander patriotism. And Boris.

Leo

Corbyn can do all that in spades. Hence the massive increase in Labour membership that followed his election as leader.

But personally I don't really give a shit about leaders. It's Labour policies that count.

policies are worthless if they never get enacted. what are corbyn's legislative accomplishments? I'm not trolling, I honestly don't know.

john eden

male pale and stale
policies are worthless if they never get enacted. what are corbyn's legislative accomplishments? I'm not trolling, I honestly don't know.

Not much you can do in opposition but he has stopped Brexit thus far in both its deal and no deal forms.

DannyL

Wild Horses
I don't think he achieved anything legislatively. He's never been in cabinet, or in any Select Committees - I'm thinking prior to 2017. Does have quite a track record as a campaigner though (Chair of Stop the War for a while (a negative in my book) and loads of other stuff including being National Secretary of Anti Fascist Action (Jon would know the details). So, not someone who chose the legislative route but is used to working in a campaigning mode. It's one of the things that makes me think he won't be that good as PM (and this isn't just my usual anti-Corbyn sour grapes), he doesn't have that kinda legislative skillset as far as I know. Maybe he's picked it up over the last few years.

Last edited:

DannyL

Wild Horses
IDK about "blocking Brexit" either. There's plenty of "facilitating Brexit" stuff he's done as well....Pretty sure he's whipped in favour of it to some degree but I forget the details - might be wrong here.

IdleRich

IdleRich
Everybody is sick of Brexit so it will be interesting to see if Labour can make the election to be about something else.
Labour trying to say that the election is not about Brexit is either totally insane... or just possibly a stroke of genius. I mean, maybe everyone knows how they are gonna vote due to Brexit anyway so it's the ones who will make their decision on other grounds that remain to be won over and will decide the election. Possibly.

Mr. Tea

Let's Talk About Ceps
IDK about "blocking Brexit" either. There's plenty of "facilitating Brexit" stuff he's done as well....Pretty sure he's whipped in favour of it to some degree but I forget the details - might be wrong here.

Well he whipped the party to vote for triggering Article 50 the day the result was announced, so there's that.

baboon2004

Darned cockwombles.
Can we add some kind of poll to this thread, to go with Danny's original prediction?

Idle soothsaying games are the only thing that can possibly make the coming six weeks remotely bearable.

john eden

male pale and stale
Corbyn has a vast track record of campaigning, supporting the underdog, voting against his own party and tabling pointless early day motions. Most people I know in Islington don’t rate him. So he’s not a normal shoe-in for prime minister. Which might be good. Or terrible. Johnson will definitely be terrible though.

Corbyn won’t stop Brexit, that would be politically mental. But he may well soften it which is probably the best bet right now. And then do a second referendum based on a concrete remain / deal choice. Which is to my mind the best option right now from a parliamentary perspective.

The Green New Deal stuff is better than any of the Tory shit so far.

Labour have the ideas. As stewards of capitalism go, it may be their time. Too bad capitalism is broken tho.

Things will continue to be hellishly interesting either way.

version

Everybody is sick of Brexit so it will be interesting to see if Labour can make the election to be about something else. They certainly seem to be the ones with the ideas and the optimism at the moment but that may just be my bubble.

Yeah, I think they'd benefit from positioning themselves as for something rather than simply reacting to Brexit and the Tories and I think they have the policies and ideas to do that. I reckon we're heading for a Tory minority though.

IdleRich

IdleRich
Johnson will definitely be terrible though.
This is it really isn't it? Corbyn might be this or that but he's what we've got and he's not BJ so there is no choice or even debate really.
Er, with a few caveats from Jews I know who say that that brushes their concerns under the carpet.

version

There are differing positions within the Jewish community though. You can't treat them like a monolith.