What will be the result of the upcoming GE?

• Conservative majority

Votes: 6 30.0%
  • Conservative minority

Votes: 4 20.0%
  • Labour majority

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Labour minority

• The Lib Dems are a force for evil

Votes: 2 10.0%
  • Fuck the lot of em, we're going to to hell in a handcart

• Total voters

DannyL

Wild Horses
I reckon minority Corbyn government. Perhaps they'll win it even while losing seats. Lib Dems to take seats from Tories. Incredibly ugly scenes as Lib Dems and Lab slag each other in an attempt to govern together.

Mr. Tea

Let's Talk About Ceps
Hard to see any result for Labour other than a total wipe-out. Corbyn's army will no doubt both blame this on Ziono-Blairite wreckers and hail it as some great (moral) victory.

SNP will own Scotland again. I can see the Greens maybe taking another seat or two in England, as the only unequivocally anti-Brexit left-wing party to vote for. I suppose a few people will vote Lib Dem out of sheer desperation, but I still think they're too tainted by the coalition and there's very little love for Swinson among Labour voters, I think, even those who oppose Corbyn and Brexit.

Among Tory voters, the inmates are quite clearly now running the asylum, so I can't see Johnson's failure to bring the country out of the EU (or to achieve anything else) actually doing him much harm. It's like Trump's wall: never mind whether it ever actually gets built or if it works, it's the idea of it, the image, that's important to his base.

Edit: seems LDs have a fairly large chunk of support, actually: https://britainelects.com/polling/westminster/

Last edited:

IdleRich

IdleRich
I'll just say what I said on facebook

Very worried about the (almost certainly) upcoming election. I feel that in the country there is a majority to stop brexit and that the majority of people do want to keep out the hard right but infighting and uselessness, along with the way that the election confusingly mixes brexit with other issues, is going to result in the Tories in power for the next five years, able to deliver their evil agenda and the worst possible brexit. I think it's possible that Labour and Libs may get more seats than the Tories but I just don't trust the LDs - either party really - to do the right thing and join to fight the Tory scourge. Frightening and frustrating times.
In other words I fear the worst even though the best is possible. I just don't think we have the leadership to make it happen.

DannyL

Wild Horses
The thing that makes me think Lab might do it -
all those ex-Lab won't vote/don't knows coming back as they've nowhere else to go
Genuinely popular policies - NHS etc
Most LD target seats are Tory, plus SNP have Scotland stitched up
Brexit betrayal seeing Tory voters go to Brexit party.

Against:
Low turnout as people are so fucked off with all of 'em
Failure to reach any swing seats
The Brexit stance - incoherent to say the least.

Genuinely don't know which way to call it. I do think the gap will fall once Corbyn gets back to his natural home, behind a megaphone shouting at the Tories. Not that I'm any more keen on him, I just think the chances of him losing big are overstated.

DannyL

Wild Horses
I agree with Rich also. No strong and vocal anti-Brexit leadership within politics.
One thing that'll be interesting is to see how Swinson stands up to media scrutiny.

DannyL

Wild Horses
Tweet here that's allegedly Labour strategy

Takeaways are they've given up on Scottish Labour. "Soft pedal on Lib Dems' - future coalition govt headed atcha. Funny to see 'em acknowledge the glorious leader is toxic on the doorstep

Mr. Tea

Let's Talk About Ceps
Tweet here that's allegedly Labour strategy

Takeaways are they've given up on Scottish Labour. "Soft pedal on Lib Dems' - future coalition govt headed atcha. Funny to see 'em acknowledge the glorious leader is toxic on the doorstep

"Do not mention that European Referendum topic, whatever it was called" - haha!

subvert47

I don't fight, I run away
The Brexit stance - incoherent to say the least.

1. negotiate soft brexit maintaining customs union and access to single market
2. put it to a confirmatory referendum with remain as the alternative option

dunno why people find that difficult to understand :confused:

1. respects the result of the original referendum (and is essentially what Starmer & Corbyn spent two years doing)
2. gives people the chance to say sod the whole thing (which a lot of Labour people would certainly campaign for)

DannyL

Wild Horses
Cos for one thing how can you have access to single market and CUwithout without committing to freedom of movement? I think it largely arises cos Corbyn and Co want some kind of Brexit and the majority of Lab members don't.

Mr. Tea

Let's Talk About Ceps
1. negotiate soft brexit maintaining customs union and access to single market
2. put it to a confirmatory referendum with remain as the alternative option

dunno why people find that difficult to understand :confused:

Corbyn resisted calls for a second referendum tooth and nail, and then, after grudgingly accepted it, has fought tooth and nail against putting Remain as an option. Even now he openly contradicts his own cabinet members whenever one of them makes any kind of statement about Labour possibly, maybe, somehow, supporting remaining in the EU. So the party's official position is "neutral" regarding the greatest act of national self-harm in modern history, to which the vast majority of Labour MPs, members and voters are very clearly opposed.

And yet the barmy army still insist Corbyn "isn't a Brexiter". That is what is difficult to understand.

Last edited:

Mr. Tea

Let's Talk About Ceps
And he's still peddling this "jobs-first Brexit" horseshit, when it is quite clear that even a so-called soft Brexit, which nobody actually wants, is going to harm the economy and cause job losses.

Last edited:

DannyL

Wild Horses
Yeah it's not like the internal negotiations to arrive at that haven't been fucking fraught.

I don't trust Corbyn not to completely undermine any ref should he get in. It'll just be "too difficult" for whatever reason.

Mr. Tea

Let's Talk About Ceps
Yeah it's not like the internal negotiations to arrive at that haven't been fucking fraught.

I don't trust Corbyn not to completely undermine any ref should he get in. It'll just be "too difficult" for whatever reason.

Sounds about right.

Let's say I'm prepared to be pleasantly surprised.

IdleRich

IdleRich
This from an ITV journalist

Joe Pike
Bumped into Dominic Cummings.
Me: Ready for the campaign Mr Cummings?
DC: We’re not going to have one.
Me: Really?
DC: They’ll vote for EU citizens and we’ll have to pull it.

Can this possibly be true? That the Tories will let the amendments make them cancel the election bill after begging for one for so long? That will make them look like even bigger cunts.

subvert47

I don't fight, I run away
So the party's official position is "neutral" regarding the greatest act of national self-harm in modern history, to which the vast majority of Labour MPs, members and voters are very clearly opposed.

"the greatest act of national self-harm" etc is sheer hyperbole. But certainly most of Labour would prefer remain.

it is quite clear that even a so-called soft Brexit (...) is going to harm the economy and cause job losses.

Probably. But the point is that the country is completely divided on Brexit. Taking a definite position, as per the Tories or LibDems, means effectively saying fuck what half the country thinks. (Though actual LibDem policy seems to change every day.) Labour is therefore "neutral" in the sense of giving people a meaningful choice. Rather than Brexit (any Brexit) vs. Remain (as in the original referendum): a specific harm-reduction Brexit vs. Remain. (You could do the same with Tory maddog Brexit vs. Remain, but the Tories wouldn't agree to that. Nor would most of Labour probably.) In the event of a second vote along those lines, Labour would doubtless campaign to remain, and most Labour voters would vote to remain, as we did last time. Labour isn't the problem here.

Bollocks. You just don't like Corbyn.