What will be the result of the upcoming GE?

• Conservative majority

Votes: 6 30.0%
  • Conservative minority

Votes: 4 20.0%
  • Labour majority

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Labour minority

• The Lib Dems are a force for evil

Votes: 2 10.0%
  • Fuck the lot of em, we're going to to hell in a handcart

• Total voters

droid

Appalling vista ahead. The UK heading into recession, breakup and quite possibly the end of what passes for British democracy.

Solidarity - for what its worth.

DannyL

Wild Horses
Interesting well argued thread articulating a position on Corbyn I basically disagree with (or would express more cynically)but worth a read:

Last edited:

martin

----
this one please

Sorry. I did consider it but went for option 5. Which, as it happens, made no difference to the outcome at all and was far more pleasurable.

Hindsight's wonderful, but I actually would've ditched the hopelessly utopian anarcho stance and voted IF Lab and LD had maybe done something clever like form a pact, and make it all about the NHS and food banks - instead of the fucking EU, free broadband or hastily knocked-up "race and faith" manifestos that most working class people, whatever their ethnicity, couldn't give a toss about.

But I'm no pundit. I knew nothing but a Tory government 'til I was 21 and grew up with police beating the shit out of miners, so am not going to fall into a pit of despair just right now, despite the grim outlook. I'm glad I gave up fags because I'm not sure how much a new lung'll cost.

DannyL

Wild Horses
Blair and Ashdown had a non aggression pact in 97. Interesting to contrast that with the animosity between LD and Lab in this campaign.

version

I keep seeing this pop up online:

"The forest was shrinking but the trees kept voting for the axe as its handle was made of wood and they thought it was one of them."

subvert47

I don't fight, I run away
Blair and Ashdown had a non aggression pact in 97. Interesting to contrast that with the animosity between LD and Lab in this campaign.

The LibDems had to maintain the pretence that Corbyn was absolutely the worst man ever – apart from opposing Brexit, it was their only marketing ploy. It did them fuck all good.

As for us... the LibDems were complicit in Tory-led austerity and were happy to recruit a load of Labour defects and homophobic Tories. For me the only good thing about this election is that none of them either kept or won a seat. And Jo Swinson lost hers as well.

So yes. Total animosity ;)

droid

I cant disagree with Corbyn's analysis here, other than the optimism.

The last few years have seen a series of political upheavals: the Scottish independence campaign, Labour’s transformation, Brexit, the Labour electoral surge, and now Johnson’s “Get Brexit Done” victory. None of that is a coincidence.

The political system is volatile because it is failing to generate stable support for the status quo following the financial crash of 2008. As Labour leader I’ve made a point of travelling to all parts of our country and listening to people, and I’ve been continually struck how far trust has broken down in politics.

The gap between the richest and the rest has widened. Everyone can see that the economic and political system is not fair, does not deliver justice, and is stacked against the majority.

That has provided an opening for a more radical and hopeful politics that insists it doesn’t have to be like this, and that another world is possible. But it has also fuelled cynicism among many people who know things aren’t working for them, but don’t believe that can change.
https://www.theguardian.com/politic...didnt-convert-that-into-a-majority-for-change

droid

Fuck. Swinson was advised against going for the election by Cable and others. She thought she could get 100 seats, and ended up dragging both her party and Labour down with her.

One of the most ignominious and ridiculous leaderships in UK politics.

droid

Hubris and stupidity aside. What kind of cretin looks at the state of the world - massive & increasing inequality, destruction of social safety nets, corporatisation and privatisation of the public assets, wholesale capture of governments by business, acceleration of the destruction of environment - and thinks, "No need for major reforms, lets just have some more centerism and minor incremental changes instead."

DannyL

Wild Horses
The LibDems had to maintain the pretence that Corbyn was absolutely the worst man ever – apart from opposing Brexit, it was their only marketing ploy. It did them fuck all good.

As for us... the LibDems were complicit in Tory-led austerity and were happy to recruit a load of Labour defects and homophobic Tories. For me the only good thing about this election is that none of them either kept or won a seat. And Jo Swinson lost hers as well.

So yes. Total animosity ;)

Idk. I would like to see a long term vision that's more inclusive. If nothing else, it'll be needed to beat the Tories next time around. Blair/Ashdown non-aggression pact seems to me a good example of that.

craner

Beast of Burden
Fuck. Swinson was advised against going for the election by Cable and others. She thought she could get 100 seats, and ended up dragging both her party and Labour down with her.

One of the most ignominious and ridiculous leaderships in UK politics.

This I definitely agree with.