What will be the result of the upcoming GE?

• Conservative majority

Votes: 6 30.0%
  • Conservative minority

Votes: 4 20.0%
  • Labour majority

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Labour minority

• The Lib Dems are a force for evil

Votes: 2 10.0%
  • Fuck the lot of em, we're going to to hell in a handcart

• Total voters

Mr. Tea

Let's Talk About Ceps
the fundamental nature of the british electorate is really people wanting to pull themselves up. they want to make there own lives better. thatcher was very good at speaking to that. it's lower-middle class, middle england aspiration.

labour speak as though the country's just looking for a handout and it doesn't win them elections. this thing of hopening to weaponise the nhs and school shortages your way to power doesn't work.

new labour was essentially a project of redistributing wealth from the rich to the poor disguised as a party for middle englanders. you can have progressive policies, just don't make them the focal point of your rhetoric.

Sounds like you and Frankie Boyle are on the same wavelength here:

Labour’s idea to run an election campaign on policy in the middle of all this is a little bit like reciting your poetry at an orgy.

IdleRich

IdleRich
If it shows up before Thurs you can still deliver it in person
But I can't just fly back to England.
As for proxy votes, the obvious people I could ask to do that are my family but they don't live near where I'm registered. As far as I can tell they would have to travel to London if they were my proxy.

sufi

lala
But I can't just fly back to England.
As for proxy votes, the obvious people I could ask to do that are my family but they don't live near where I'm registered. As far as I can tell they would have to travel to London if they were my proxy.
I'm so disappointed Rich I thought you really cared about democracy and kicking Boris out ;)

I was nominated as a proxy, then set up 'proxy by post' to avoid having to go to Waltham forest on Thurs. It's ridiculously convoluted. And pointless.

IdleRich

IdleRich
Well luckily I'm in a safe Labour seat anyway - but the principle of it is important, I've seen several people online saying they didn't get their voting papers through, and one girl I know saying she got the envelope with all the info etc... but not the actual ballot paper! Also Private Eye had an article a few weeks ago saying that if you lived in Australia etc it might well be impossible to get a postal vote form applied for, sent to you and returned in time even if you had done it the day the election was announced. So it's all a bit shit.
In general low turnout is good news for the Tories - I mean they actually tried to discourage students from voting by picking the day they thought would be hardest for them right? Whatever side you're on those kind of tactics are simply wrong - just another thing to add to the pile of scummy Tory actions.

john eden

male pale and stale
The “principle” of needing a vote in a safe seat when you live in a different country is one I am struggling with?

version

This doesn't look dodgy at all.

Researchers fear 'catastrophe' as political ads 'disappear' from Facebook library

Political ads are "disappearing" from Facebook's advertising monitoring system, leaving stunned researchers fearing a "catastrophic" loss of transparency and accountability.

Ads from the Conservatives, Brexit Party and Liberal Democrats, as well as local parties and candidates, no longer appear in Facebook's Ad Library, the tool set up by the tech firm to display political ads.

A search on the Ad Library for "Boris Johnson" now claims the Prime Minister's page has spent £181 since November 8. In fact, it has spent over £90,000.

It is not known how many ads have vanished, but researchers believe it could be "tens of thousands, perhaps hundreds of thousands". As a result, it is no longer possible to find ads that have previously been reported, or perform accurate large-scale analysis using the data provided by Facebook about each ad.

"This is catastrophic," said Tristan Hotham, a researcher with ad transparency non-profit WhoTargetsMe. "Almost all the ads from late October to early December are gone. In effect it is deleting the data."

https://news.sky.com/story/research...-ads-disappear-from-facebook-library-11882988

IdleRich

IdleRich
The point here is that I'm entitled to vote and I have filled in the forms to get my vote and sent them off by registered delivery and not received my form.
Surely it's not hard to grasp the principle that if you're entitled to vote then you shouldn't be prevented from doing so?

IdleRich

IdleRich
Am I misunderstanding the question? You live in a safe seat I think John but I reckon you'd have something to say if you were told you couldn't vote but shouldn't worry about it.

Mr. Tea

Let's Talk About Ceps
The “principle” of needing a vote in a safe seat when you live in a different country is one I am struggling with?

Right but if Rich was registered at a UK address and it was a very marginal seat and the Tory candidate won by a single vote then he'd be pretty pissed off, I'd imagine - as I'm sure you would.

Surely whether you live in a safe Labour or not doesn't affect the fact of it being unjust if you've made a reasonable effort to vote by post and have been prevented from doing so?

Last edited:

john eden

male pale and stale
1. I’m not going to vote.
2. One of the risks of having a postal vote is that it doesn’t turn up. This is rarely down to malign anti-democratic forces.
3. I definitely would not vote in an election somewhere I didn’t live.

As Tea has said, the situation is resolvable. But you’re not sufficiently impassioned by your completely pointless opportunity to vote that you will be getting on a plane.

IdleRich

IdleRich
1. Why the hell not?
2. Yes I agree. That's what I said about the Australia thing, the system is not fit for purpose. I mean it could of course be a Tory thing but I tend to go for incompetence before conspiracy. But that doesn't make it ok.
3. I don't live there (at the moment). But I'm from there, my family are there, my friends are there, I may be there in the future. I pay taxes there. They are going to make decisions that will directly affect me. I'm legally entitled to vote there. Why the fuck shouldn't I exercise my right?

I have commitments here and for the two of us to get a return at short notice just before Christmas is likely to be over a thousand pounds (based on trying to do it last year). That doesn't mean I deserve to lose the right to vote does it? Do you think it's ok to restrict votes to those who have a grand lying around unspent and are free to travel to another country at the drop of the hat... even though the rules say that it's open to everyone?

john eden

male pale and stale
Also we can’t on the one hand decry the expats in Spain voting for Boris and Brexit whilst also affirming your right to vote in this election, can we?

I’m not going to vote because Diane has a 30k majority so it would be a waste of time.

DannyL

Wild Horses
I feel almost sentimentally attached to voting. It seems an important part of exercising your rights in a democracy,. A bedrock liberal act of belief so I quite like the fact that John is sticking two fingers up at that.

The attachment to voting is one reason why I'm angered at the two IMHO shit choices.

Mr. Tea

Let's Talk About Ceps
Also we can’t on the one hand decry the expats in Spain voting for Boris and Brexit whilst also affirming your right to vote in this election, can we?

People here might think they're stupid wankers but I doubt anyone would actually say they should be denied their basic democratic right.

IdleRich

IdleRich
I'm not sure I'm outraged. I'm mildly pissed off at the number of people disfranchised by this - especially those not in such safe seats - and I feel the system is not fit for purpose, to the bad guys' advantage.
I'm pretty sure I never said expats shouldn't vote... I am surprised if they vote against their own interests of course, same as everyone.
Let's hope Abbot isn't in the news as a big upset...

version

Account used to spread fake news about boy on hospital floor 'was hacked'

The plot thickens. She now says she received a friend request from someone claiming to be an old school friend, accepted it and scrolled through their timeline, saw the block of text and copied and pasted it to her own. Also her son is apparently involved in Conservative politics and is friends with Matt Hancock on Facebook.

IdleRich

IdleRich
Plus I feel that anyone who can vote has a moral duty to prevent the damage that the Tories will do to the country as a whole and to the weakest individuals in particular. I would happily do that even if I couldn't justify my participation in terms of my own involvement with the UK. Though to be honest as it happens I'm fairly comfortable with that and, as these rules appear to be fairly common in most countries, I thought it was a fairly uncontroversial position.