What will be the result of the upcoming GE?

• Conservative majority

Votes: 6 30.0%
  • Conservative minority

Votes: 4 20.0%
  • Labour majority

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Labour minority

• The Lib Dems are a force for evil

Votes: 2 10.0%
  • Fuck the lot of em, we're going to to hell in a handcart

• Total voters

Mr. Tea

Let's Talk About Ceps
Bollocks. You just don't like Corbyn.

I was enthusiastic about him when he first became leader, believe it or not. I've got off him since then, mainly because of his utter uselessness in the face of an unprecedented crisis.

So yeah, I don't like him. For good reasons. There's no "just" about it.

version

I've heard him described as useless etc a fair bit, but I haven't seen half as many suggestions as to what he should be doing. People go on about the opposition being weak, but he's been pointing out what the Tories do to the NHS etc the whole time, people just don't care.

luka

People pretend it's something else they object to but of course it's just left wing policies they can't stomach

IdleRich

IdleRich
I'm perfectly happy with his policies, I just want him to be more popular. And I don't think he can do that (very happy to be proved wrong). I realise it's a bit like Napolean asking for generals who are lucky but I want someone to have his policies and fucking win. Or at least stop the Tories gaining a big majority - if that happens it's gonna be a very very dark time for the UK for the foreseeable future.

Leo

from the outside, it appears corbyn largely lacks leadership qualities. leadership is more than just believing in something, it's being able to articulate a vision that rallies people, motivates them to join in and work together to make what you believe in actually happen. he seems to alienate as many people as he motivates.

IdleRich

IdleRich
But Corbyn isn't. I just want him to change so he's a winner. I don't know how he does that but he has to... or else find someone else who can.

IdleRich

IdleRich
I want to be wrong, I want the polls to be wrong... I want Corbyn to win by a massive majority. But I fear that the opposite is gonna happen. This is gonna be the dirtiest and most important GE of our lifetime, the downside is catastrophic.

DannyL

Wild Horses
The piece I posted above points out that a Corbyn govt makes Brexit of any sort less likely. I think if he does get in, it's v likely that he'll unlikely to do much without much of a mandate. That includes sabotaging a ref so I'd roll back on what I said earlier - the likely lack of mandate (due to the collapse of votes in Scotland amongst other things) will make most things harder. I have been thinking about what Lab in govt could actually do and it does strike me that they'd be able to stop some of the Tories more vicious stuff outright. Would the hostile environment really continue with Diane Abbott in the Home Office? You could argue that that alone makes it worth voting Lab.

version

I've voted tactically in the past, but I don't think I can stomach voting Lib Dem again. I just don't trust their relationship with the Tories and the policies I agree with aren't enough to outweigh that.

version

It's not just about Brexit though. I don't trust them not to back the Tories on policy in general, or at least not to hamper Labour's economic agenda.

Mr. Tea

Let's Talk About Ceps
It's not just about Brexit though. I don't trust them not to back the Tories on policy in general, or at least not to hamper Labour's economic agenda.

In other times I'd agree, but the Tory party is a very different thing from what it was even nine years ago, when Clegg made his devil's bargain with Cameron.

Really what we're seeing is the effects of party politics dominated by two main parties - one massively right-wing and unambiguously pro-Brexit, the other progressive but fractured between its pro-Brexit leadership and anti-Brexit majority - with possible kingmaker roles to be played by a party that's more or less socially liberal and strongly anti-Brexit but economically right-wing, and another party that's like the Tories on crack.

The Tories have virtually nothing to lose by getting more and more right wing, as that will only help stave off the threat from Farage, whereas Labour sound a lot like they're saying "Who else are you going to vote for, chump?" to progressive voters who don't want any kind of Brexit.

DannyL

Wild Horses
I'm reminded of Thirdform's comments about the decay of the two party system. That's what we're living through - Conservatives have been encouraged by Brexit to let out their Mr Hyde and the Labour Party has also changed irrevocably by the events of 2015-17. They're both different things now and politics is trying to realgin itself around that. It does feel kinda decadent to me, inward turning. Some of Labour's policy isn't I'll grant - Green New Deal etc - but I see precious else little optimism.

DannyL

Wild Horses
Owen Smith has just stood down. I think they'll be a small number of others who can't campaign to put Corbyn in No 10.

baboon2004

Darned cockwombles.
This feels pretty desperate, and wholly unprecedented in its unpredictability. What was the event that precipitated the tories hefty lead over labour? During corbyns time, labour have also been ahead in the polls.

Lib dems will go with the tories again if it means power, under the guise of changing things from the inside. Wont be making that mistake again.

Last edited: