john eden

male pale and stale
It does feel a bit undignified but what are Corbyn supporting Jews supposed to do when usually racist shitbags like the Daily Mail are telling everyone that all Jews think Jeremy Corbyn is an anti-semite?

Very hard for the rest of us to get a grip on how representative the various groups and individuals are though.

Bit of a shitshow.

Mr. Tea

Let's Talk About Ceps
As long as everyone involved is a consenting adult and you have an agreed 'safe word' then I don't see what the problem is.

padraig (u.s.)

a monkey that will go ape
do you think bds is anti-semitic
using the tactics of boycott and divestment against the Israeli govt and/or Israeli companies isn't inherently anti-Semitic

BDS the movement is more complicated

for one, it definitely harbors or has as bedfellows some legitimate anti-Semites

admittedly that can be hard to self-police in an activist setting, but no one's making much of an effort to do so - that I've seen

another problem is its blanket nature - i.e., it's a boycott not just Israeli institutions, but of Israeli individuals

including and perhaps especially those (artists, academics) who'd be most likely to oppose the worst policies of the Israeli government

a lot of it comes down to 2 things

1) how much you buy the Israel = apartheid South Africa argument

2) to what extent you think BDS acts as a shell vehicle for anti-Semitism

padraig (u.s.)

for me - boycott everything to do with the settlements, any products they produce, etc. they're illegal.

if you want to divest from Israeli businesses to protest the actions of the government, fine. it's a legitimate position to hold.

the academic boycott - by far the most prominent aspect of BDS - is dumb and counterproductive

it's better in general at making claims than achieving much. it's had basically no impact on the Israeli economy.

and the blanket nature of it is exactly what makes it vulnerable to claims that it's just a front for delegitimizing Israel.

sufi

lala
1) how much you buy the Israel = apartheid South Africa argument
Having been there I buy it. Obviously there are differences with pre-80's/90's SA but the enforced inequality and separation are unique in this era and truly appalling

2) to what extent you think BDS acts as a shell vehicle for anti-Semitism
I don't know the ins and outs but i think BDS as a strategy is the best of a bad bunch and is needed

padraig (u.s.)

I don't know the ins and outs but i think BDS as a strategy is the best of a bad bunch and is needed
right tactics, wrong people, poor execution

for Palestinians, boycotts and divestment are probably yes, the best of a bad bunch, in coordination with domestic protest etc

BDS itself is a self-aggrandizing effort that primarily exists in bitter campus debates, celebrity endorsements, and headline generation

luka

right tactics, wrong people, poor execution

for Palestinians, boycotts and divestment are probably yes, the best of a bad bunch, in coordination with domestic protest etc

BDS itself is a self-aggrandizing effort that primarily exists in bitter campus debates, celebrity endorsements, and headline generation

Reminds me of the extinction rebellion debate here one question is if these people are right in thinking these campaigns must be run through the media, as, uh, the spectacle... and if so then all the things you mention are unavoidable. At some level if the cause is the right one you have to forgive a certain amount of clumsiness

padraig (u.s.)

At some level if the cause is the right one you have to forgive a certain amount of clumsiness
there's clumsiness and there's ugliness. the former is forgivable, the latter isn't.

how much ugliness BDS contains or represents is a matter of debate.