Corpsey

bandz ahoy
Its also a vague word, a substitute for being more specific.

Did I mean that it was beautiful because it made me feel all gooey?

It surprised me, this sudden shift from the "immediate" to the retrospective, and the use of a sensory metaphor to get at something emotional. You can see he's obsessed with the senses, with perception and with consciousness, but what's really striking is how he intertwines that with emotion - he describes a moonlit landscape with a sort of scientific aesthetic precision, then compares hearing the sounds very clearly and quietly to a concert, but then it becomes about the SPECIFIC concerts that Swann took the narrator's family to, in a single sentence.

luka

1572810793037-1483769350.jpg

I suppose it makes sense for the most famous part of the book to come early on before even the laziest readers have given up.

luka

I'm very very tired. I think I might have picked up corpseys disease. What symptons did you have corpse?

luka

Yeah I was surprised about how early the bit about the madelines comes up.

are you listening on the radio? I can imagine that being quite cosy, winter time, some posh bloke on radio four over enunciating, nice and fruity BBC drama voice.

luka

I actually hate listening to people read as a rule. The exception being Ben Watson reading vegetable empire. And there's probably a good wind in the willows or hitchhikers guide to the galaxy or something cosy like that.

luka

I heard Pound reading his own work abd he sounded Fucking ridiculous. Very American man affects cultute, and of course that's a huge aspect of his work. Otherwise I haven't heard much. Joyce reading a passage from the wake is lovely. People like Burroughs but like mark e smiths I can't understand a word he's saying

IdleRich

IdleRich
are you listening on the radio? I can imagine that being quite cosy, winter time, some posh bloke on radio four over enunciating, nice and fruity BBC drama voice.
Sadly not cos I missed the start. In general I can't concentrate on things being read but I wouldn't mind hearing this in precisely the way that you describe above. Maybe while I'm cooking or doing something else. Hopefully it's all online complied somewhere cos surely they can't expect every listener to hear all 85 episodes or whatever. I've read the first book though and I have the second on my shelf somewhere, my aim was to get them all from charity shops but I guess that's not gonna happen now.

Corpsey

bandz ahoy
You fucking steaming ahead on Proust now?

Already letting it slip and flu can't be the whole excuse

Corpsey

bandz ahoy
Btw why is it I can't concentrate on someone reading a book for more than five minutes but I can listen to two people talking on a podcast for eight hours?

luka

How are you getting on with this Brother Jack?

Feeling a sense of personal power and autonomy?