Surveillance Capitalism

version

We're all worried about it (... or should be) but it seems inevitable. How long before non-"smart" devices stop being manufactured and you have no choice but to purchase a fridge with a tablet stuck in the front? Apparently they're rolling out smart meters across the UK by the end of 2020 although there's currently no legal obligation to have one.

https://www.gov.uk/guidance/smart-meters-how-they-work

Anyone read Shoshana Zuboff's book? There was a decent interview with her in The Guardian last month.

https://www.theguardian.com/books/2...talism-assault-human-automomy-digital-privacy

version

I remember reading about this at the time. The internet is a giant petri dish.

Facebook apologises for psychological experiments on users

Facebook’s second most powerful executive, Sheryl Sandberg, has apologised for the conduct of secret psychological tests on nearly 700,000 users in 2012, which prompted outrage from users and experts alike.

The experiment, revealed by a scientific paper published in the March issue of Proceedings of National Academy of Sciences, hid "a small percentage" of emotional words from peoples' news feeds, without their knowledge, to test what effect that had on the statuses or "likes" that they then posted or reacted to.

https://www.theguardian.com/technol...apologises-psychological-experiments-on-users

version

I think someone posted this in another thread a while back, Eden or sufi perhaps.

'The goal is to automate us': welcome to the age of surveillance capitalism - https://www.theguardian.com/technol...ge-of-surveillance-capitalism-google-facebook

Shoshana Zuboff’s new book is a chilling exposé of the business model that underpins the digital world. Observer tech columnist John Naughton explains the importance of Zuboff’s work and asks the author 10 key questions

firefinga

People are actually doing it all by themselves now already, meaning those twitter-Stalinists who will dig into 7,8 year old twitter feeds to unearth this one "problematic" tweet to smear whoever they want to. People today getting punished for stupid tweets they did as a drunk teenager. It's hilarious and sad at the same time.

DannyL

Wild Horses
I heard her interviewed on a podcast recently and she was so bad it put me off reading the book. Rambled, tried to give 10m answers to questions, got pissy at the slightest challenge.

luka

A good friend of mine and craners called Jim has been getting emails saying we have your password (they gave it, it's really his) and we have video footage of you wanking. Pay up. :crylarf::crylarf::crylarf:

version

This thing of landlords hiding cameras and microphones in people's flats and houses whilst they're at work is pretty grim.

luka

Those deleted posts were version admitting he's paid up to that wanking video scam before realising he doesn't even have a webcam on his computer

version

The Met Police will start using live facial recognition across London

The Met Police has announced that it will start using controversial live facial recognition systems as part of its regular policing in London.

The service has been trialling face matching technology on the streets of the capital since 2016 but will now significantly increase its use. "The use of live facial recognition technology will be intelligence-led and deployed to specific locations in London," the police force said in a statement.

The Met says that the roll-out of live facial recognition will start in places where it believes the technology can help "locate serious offenders" and help to tackle crime. It's believed the first use of the technology will begin within the next month. It has not yet been announced where the technology will be used. At this stage it is also unclear whether the cameras used for facial recognition will be permanently deployed to one location or moved frequently around the city.

Independent analysis, commissioned and since dismissed by the Metropolitan Police, found matches made using the Met's facial recognition systems were inaccurate 81 per cent of the time.

https://www.wired.co.uk/article/london-met-police-facial-recognition

sadmanbarty

A good friend of mine and craners called Jim has been getting emails saying we have your password (they gave it, it's really his) and we have video footage of you wanking. Pay up. :crylarf::crylarf::crylarf:

when i was little i didn't have my own computer so i was using my dad's laptop to wank.

all of a sudden this thing takes over the screen and its got the metropolitan police's logo on it and it says that i'd been watching zoophilia and pedophilia and that i could put in my card details and pay a fine or the police would come and arrest me. you couldn't click off of it or anything. it wasn't a window, there was no way to get out of it. i even restarted the computer and it was still there when i got back.

very embarrasing having to wake my dad up at 2 in the morning to show him what my wanking habits had done to his computer.

he had to wipe it. lost loads of photos and documents and all that.

luka

when i was little i didn't have my own computer so i was using my dad's laptop to wank.

all of a sudden this thing takes over the screen and its got the metropolitan police's logo on it and it says that i'd been watching zoophilia and pedophilia and that i could put in my card details and pay a fine or the police would come and arrest me. you couldn't click off of it or anything. it wasn't a window, there was no way to get out of it. i even restarted the computer and it was still there when i got back.

very embarrasing having to wake my dad up at 2 in the morning to show him what my wanking habits had done to his computer.

he had to wipe it. lost loads of photos and documents and all that.

:crylarf::crylarf::crylarf::crylarf::crylarf::crylarf::crylarf::crylarf: fucking hell

kumar

The Met Police will start using live facial recognition across London

https://www.wired.co.uk/article/london-met-police-facial-recognition

National treasure Eddie Nestor was talking about this on bbc London yesterday, they didnt get a response from the met when they invited them so both expert guests were very critical in no uncertain terms and a lot was made of the racial bias that has been exposed in tests. Lots of people calling in unhappy with the way met have insinuated there is public consent for it by giving out leaflets saying that it will happen. Apparently eu have a 5 year ban on implementing technology cos of the problems involved too.

version

This section of the Wired article was incredibly frustrating:

The Met's rollout of the technology appears to be in contradiction of an independent study conducted by academics with access to the Met's systems. In July 2019, two academics from the University of Essex, Daragh Murray and Pete Fussey, published a report that raised serious concerns about the use of facial recognition in London. The researchers attended six trials of the technology where it had correctly identified people 19.05 per cent of the time. Or, to put it another way, it was inaccurate 81 per cent of the time when the system believed it had made a match.

The study was the most detailed report on the use of live facial recognition technology to date and involved interviews with Met Police officers and access to their systems. The researchers concluded it was "highly possible" that courts could decide the technology was unlawful and that it was likely to be "inadequate" under human rights laws.

Both academics said it is unclear why people were being added to the police watchlists, with a later definition of being "violent" included as a reason for including certain individuals. They also said people had been included on watchlists incorrectly. In one trial in Romford in 2018, a 15-year-old boy who was identified had already been through the criminal justice system.

The research also said it was not clear why police had picked some locations for facial recognition trials and there wasn't a simple way to avoid the technology. Tests near the Stratford shopping centre in East London required people to take an 18 minute detour if they didn't want to be scanned by facial recognition cameras. In another case seen by the researchers, people reading information boards about the technology were already in range of the facial recognition cameras.

The Met Police, which had commissioned the study, distanced itself from the findings. At the time of its release a spokesperson said the research had a "negative and unbalanced tone".