version

“We’re a mess,” Blair said at a Reuters Newsmaker event. “The buoyancy of the world economy has kept us going up to now, but should that falter, we will be in deep trouble.”

Blair, the only Labour leader to win three elections, said his party was now controlled by its “Marxist-Leninist wing” and that its leader Jeremy Corbyn was promising a revolution.

“The problem with revolutions is never how they begin but how they end,” said Blair. “The problem with revolutions is that they always end badly.”

“The truth is: the public aren’t convinced either main party deserves to win this election outright.”

“No-deal Brexit is not off the table,” Blair said. “This negotiation (on the future relationship) has no chance of being concluded in that transition period.”

Blair said he did not know whether Labour, which has tacked sharply to the left under Corbyn, would ever return to the centre ground of British politics, but added: “We must set about the urgent task of reconstructing the sensible mainstream of British politics.”

“Otherwise, this laboratory experiment in populism running riot will end very badly for our nation.”

luka

The way they grimly imply that it will only be a matter of months before the guillotine is rolled out and the heads start falling ffs

luka

It's utterly contemptible. I mean, I know people fall for this shit but it's so sad isn't it

version

The music streaming service Spotify may seem like an unorthodox model for Whitehall, but according to the Tony Blair Institute it offers a culture fit for a 21st century workplace.

Staff members are divided into “tribes”, larger groups of engineers and developers, which are subdivided into smaller “squads” – teams with different skills who have end-to-end responsibility for delivering updates.

There are also “chapters” and “guilds” which cut across different categories. In government, chapters and guilds could be used to bring together policy advisers, researchers, lawyers, designers and developers, while squads could be assigned specific tasks on delivering key “national missions” set by the Prime Minister, such as industrial strategy or the net zero carbon commitment.

luka

WE COULD ALL LIVE IN A BIODOME WITH STRONG ENLIGHTENED LEADERSHIP.
My name is Ganymede. I live in Biodome 1. My job is to tend to the peach trees, and to gather the peaches when they are ripe. There is a work unit I transfer the peaches to. They are responsible for making Peach Cobbler for the whole community.

craner

Beast of Burden
It’s Think Tank talk though, isn’t it? It’s not sinister, it’s just devising policies as commodities to sell. If you listen to all these parties in the morning on Radio 4, which I do sometimes, you can hear it rattling out like tinny coins bouncing off cold walls. The “skills wallet”, “the skills deal” etc: empty money for adult education repacked.

craner

Beast of Burden
New Labour had this problem early on: they vanquished the Left with a spectrum position then had to fill it with policies months before potentially being elected. But they were so haunted by 1992 they didn’t actually believe they would win a majority so wasted that time on advertising and negotiating a pre-emptive pact with Paddy Ashdown.

craner

Beast of Burden
A lot of the debate about Blair forgets the context of what happened before.

This includes foreign policy: Hurd and Howe supporting the Serbs in their genocidal campaign for Greater Serbia, for example.

Mr. Tea

Let's Talk About Ceps
It’s Think Tank talk though, isn’t it? It’s not sinister, it’s just devising policies as commodities to sell. If you listen to all these parties in the morning on Radio 4, which I do sometimes, you can hear it rattling out like tinny coins bouncing off cold walls. The “skills wallet”, “the skills deal” etc: empty money for adult education repacked.

I love the idea of a skills wallet. It sounds like something from one of those excessively complicated modern boardgames some people are really into.

Mr. Tea

Let's Talk About Ceps
The ones where you're meant to be a Victorian railway tycoon or an ambassador to a space colony or something. Every turn, you take a Random Event card and one of these is the Enstupifier Virus. When this happens, the player to your left removes a card at random from your Skills Wallet.