Clinamenic

Binary & Tweed
I mean Joyce is still going over Aristotle in the book.
I think all these figures have thought through things and have communicated their findings in ways that may expedite the reader’s own development, but at certain depths it does seem like pure theory is little more than a hobby with no discernible benefit beyond the armchair.

Clinamenic

Binary & Tweed
No specific examples come to mind here, but some of the advancements of pure mathematics were only pure until an application was happened upon. I can find examples if needed. I think quaternions are an example but I hardly understand them.

Clinamenic

Binary & Tweed
That is you can find examples of people thinking ahead of their time, but this kind of prophecy is qualified in hindsight, it seems. Could be that there were equally advanced and abstract math concepts as quaternions, or whatever, that simply haven’t found an application yet.

Clinamenic

Binary & Tweed
maybe you two have a simplistic progressive and linear notion of time?
I do think our recording keeping technology has advanced, in terms of volume of information preserved, but I also believe our experience of time is more a reflection of our own cognition than of the universe beyond our brains.

Clinamenic

Binary & Tweed
Tough to use words to describe the situation of our own cognitive faculties, kinda get wrapped up in semiotic relativity and paradox.

Clinamenic

Binary & Tweed
Funnily enough, being better able to see through concepts may enable one to more fluently utilize and modify them.

Clinamenic

Binary & Tweed
Rather than only being able to rely on meaning which is supposed to be secured beyond one’s own cognition in some absolute cosmic will, which very well may be the case, but it needn’t be.

Clinamenic

Binary & Tweed
That some abstract aspect of my experience (say, a belief) is the artifact of cognitive activity external to my consciousness, needn’t be interpreted as disqualifying the meaning of said experience.