Kate Tempest

john eden

male pale and stale
It is poetry that would sit well on "Later... With Jools Holland".

To be fair he had Sleaford Mods on there, but lots of people seemed to absolutely hate them. Which was great.

I don't pay a lot of attention to poetry but people like Salena Godden and Emily Harrison seem a bit more like it. Less cloying. Less comfortably Radio 4.

Kate Tempest is not the biggest problem we face though. There is always going to be a next poet that hits it big and they will always be terrible. Simon Armitage would be another one.

luka

She's not the enemy. Just a symptom of English middle class taste. What interests me is where all the sort of writers I like went. The paranoid schizophrenic types. Crackpots. The sort of degenerates semiotexte was into. Hucksters. Drooling shamans. Very alienated people. Sheep killing dogs. Actual proper writers. There aren't any.

luka

I am certain there is a market for it. I'm sure there are a few thousand people or so who want that itch scratched. Theory maybe is occupying that zone to some extent.

Leo

What interests me is where all the sort of writers I like went. The paranoid schizophrenic types. Crackpots. The sort of degenerates semiotexte was into. Hucksters. Drooling shamans. Very alienated people. Sheep killing dogs. Actual proper writers. There aren't any.

Josef K?

version

Akala. Discuss.

He reminds me of Russell Brand at times and I'm not really into his music, but I don't find too much to disagree with when I hear what he has to say - although I haven't seen/heard that much of him.

He interviewed Kano recently.

Last edited:

pattycakes_

Can turn naughty
Tempest is thick wooly jumpers, clutching a cup of cocoa, wearily looking out at the council estate on a gray day. Seth rogan level edgy.

luka

As far as akala goes telly needs a youngish black man to keep coming on to articulate those views and be able to hold his own in those silly telly debates they have. It's sort of a structural thing. He seems to do a good job of it.

That's part of it. That what is learned is the ways in which 'emotion' and 'sincerity' is communicated within a pre-established model. The outward forms. You can relate this to way social media has trained us to pose better. To present better. How to work with a camera and the image.

The prevalence of video extends this into how to move and speak.

excellent performance at the start of this thread, this bit especially. It was what I was trying to say to version yesterday

Expand on the we don’t have emotions any more bit. You’ve said it a few times. Because of this self awareness that precludes what might have been a former ‘pure’ expression?

luka

it's interesting territory. and it's related to why it doesnt do to talk about the simple divide between irony and sincerity

luka

Expand on the we don’t have emotions any more bit. You’ve said it a few times. Because of this self awareness that precludes what might have been a former ‘pure’ expression?

well, im never sure how much i mean this. i think its certainly true enough to be useful as a provocation.

luka

i think some of the fictions which underlay emotions have been dissolved. the kind of fairy stories which underlay the experience of 'falling in love' for instance have been methodically undermined.

luka

and as you say our relation to our experiencing self has been complicated enormously

luka

then there is the way what would not long ago have been understood as emotional turmoil is now understood as biochemical turmoil and medicalised

Partly it’s about knowing too much isn’t it. the same thing that makes many actors feel insincere in real life. It’s about getting enough (too much) feedback from media, learning to anticipate the audience reaction, play it. And over time even spontaneous and impulsive reaction can be managed too

luka

you have books like Don Quixote, Sorrows of Young Werther, Notes from Underground, which detail a confusion of fiction and life. and in the early 20th century you have writers talking about how the public learn their facial expressions and bodily postures and ways of moving from Hollywood but i think the circuit is getting tighter and tighter