sadmanbarty

Some attributes of Homer's sirens, such as the enticement of men and their beautiful song, also became attached to the mermaid.

luka

I can't remember for sure but Reynolds probably starts it with all his stuff about 'the oceanic' and his evocations of female sexuality/female orgasm and how AR Kane are the best band of all time.

luka

"Can the ocean be described?” was Roberts’ rhetorical question. I think of chaos theory (“Dark Magas” as demonic Mandelbrot?) and Deleuze & Guattari’s rhizome (“musical form, right down to its ruptures and proliferations, is comparable to a weed”). I think of post-Deleuzian cyber-feminist Sadie Plant’s description of the information ocean as “an endless geographic plane of micromeshing pulsing quanta, limitless webs of interacting blendings, leakings, mergings…” I reckon Miles was half in love with, half in dread of the ‘female’ will-to-chaso, the mutagenic, metamorphic lifeforce, exalted by Plant in her book Zeroes + Ones, that’s why Miles’s misogynist nickname for oceanic flux was “bitches brew”. I think also of the Afro-diasporic baroque that is wildstyle typography, then remember Greg Tate got there first with his description of Miles’ “scribbling blurbs of feline, funky sound which under scrutiny take on graphic shapes as wild and willed as New York subway graffiti”. Finally, I think of the word “protean”, which derives from the name of a shapeshifting sea god. That’s what Miles was, in his electrifying Electric Period: a Modern Proteus."

luka

"Very similar in effect, if not in sound, is what's been called "oceanic" or "nirvana" rock: the blissed-out dreampop of the likes of Cocteau Twins and A.R. Kane. These groups' hazy, radiant guitar sound and lullaby vocals invite reveries of halcyon childhood innocence. Like acid house, the oceanic sound is wombing. Oceanic rock appeals to subconscious memories of the maternal heaven-on-eart' that enfolds the suckled infant. It stirs up nostalgia for this time before time, where the child lives in a beatific 'forever now', free of anxiety."

blissblogger

one of my favorite things of the decade is the 'silent' episode of Bojack Horseman where he goes to a movie awards ceremony in this undersea city - above is the ending bit, but below are fan-repurposed jobs on more blissed out sequences

version

Perhaps we need to go back to creative thread titles. I've gotten very matter of fact in mine. "Election 2020." "Dominic Cummings." "Legowelt."

luka

Another way in which this future is disturbing, and this is crucial, is that it is about convergence and not resistance.

Look back at the beginning of the dematerialisation thread and you'll see how uncomfortable this makes people. This future is capitalist. It's not counter cultural. It's not an underground resistance. It's convergence. It's a folding in.

Did you ever read this thread @constant escape ? capitalist futures.

luka

Caroline Foley aka treelethargy is in the comments here
"Spotting the gang on YouTube "

luka

It's not music, it's an idea for music. Same thing with burial or Caberet Voltaire. Ideas people with no musical talent. But they're important. You need that preliminary sketch.