blissblogger

i live for riffs (a rave stab is basically a riff when it comes down to it)

and i love blues-based rock, which is basically nearly all rock before punk

(some acid rock involved bands going straight from folk to electric guitar music, but UK psych, most of them groups started out as dance bands - Pink Floyd named themselves after a blues performer right?)

(then there's Velvet Underground which is something else altogether)

i prefer blues-based hard/heavy rock to nonblues-based hard/heavy rock

by a certain point, though, all that could be done with blues-based rock was done, so something else had to happen

this is the best ZZ Top song

Last edited:

Leo

oh christ, I literally grew up on ZZ Top, saw them at the providence civic center on the "fandango" tour, can't ever imagine how much beer and pot was consumed in high school listening to "tres hombres".

years of adolescent air guitar to this:

rivaling Moorhead at their own game:

here's a nugget later covered by Steve Albini's R*peman...

Leo

just went down a ZZ YouTube mini-rabbit hole, how is it that I actually remember the friggin' guitar solos by heart on this stuff?

have to say i don't love 'um as much when they incorporated the electronic drum sound, prefer them down and dirty as opposed to polished. and sorry bliss, "manic mechanic" sounds like a Zappa song.

I'll bet all their hardcore fans are trump voters (aside from music nerds like us, and probably the band themselves). we're talking lots of shit-kickin' good ol' boys.

luka

They get a lovely sound. Shame about the vocals. Keeps them from being great imo

version

I like that the guy in the band with the last name 'Beard' has the worst beard of the three.

thirdform

pass the sick bucket
god they just sound like a parody version of funkadelic to me lads. this is what comes to my mind when luke says funk is cancelled, not obscure 45s or whatever, in which case i am in total agreement.

u gotta go avant-yob straight to da fuckin point

thirdform

pass the sick bucket
also u can go a bit russian sort of, but filtered through defeat.

Stravinsky should have made rock and roll and we wouldn't have had jack white and all that 00s crap.

blissblogger

ZZ Hill is a bit zzzz but this chap is great

had a running theme of "money's too tight to mention" blues-funk

this is the other notable fiscal-blues from Johnny Guitar Watson