Corpsey

bandz ahoy
What music styles wouldn't dissensus/music nerds touch with a shitty stick - are these styles irredeemable, are there good things about them, what is their fatal flaw or set of flaws, will what is uncredible change in the future and is that change as much a source of innovation as "futurism"?

version

The singer-songwriter thing, like Lewis Capaldi. The stuff people were on about in the Kate Tempest thread. X-Factor ballads. The fatal flaw is its bland, straining earnestness.

Corpsey

bandz ahoy
Didn't really occur to me to think of those ppl. Was more thinking of tech house, psy trance, Swedish house Mafia. But yes by all means, singer songwriters. Awful.

luka

Me and third go psytrance parties together pretty regularly. Don't even take drugs. Just get a real clean contact high.

mvuent

Void Dweller
What music styles wouldn't dissensus/music nerds touch with a shitty stick - are these styles irredeemable, are there good things about them, what is their fatal flaw or set of flaws, will what is uncredible change in the future and is that change as much a source of innovation as "futurism"?

one absence that's always interested me is blues and related music. idk who it was who said (to unanimous in-thread agreement) that the best rock music is as far removed from the blues as possible. i think barty posted a joseph spence link once but in general it's never more than passingly mentioned.

the original american stuff (20s-50s mostly) can be great in my opinion. but in its modern form it's mostly a domain of fedora and bow tie wearing white people and that's obviously going to repel people here. maybe if we had anyone old enough to remember when blues was genuinely cool it would be different.

i do think it could still be a source of innovation though because the whole "country time" approach to playing guitar you get in early recordings is so different from anything now.

luka

Matthew ingrams gets really angry with me every time I reject something for being too bluesy.

luka

All that chugging sixties rock. Gross. Bluesy Brit rock for real ale drinkers.

luka

Like Corpsey i can't understand the tolerance you people have for RA/FACT music that's all cancelled to me. Totally pointless landfill music.

mvuent

Void Dweller
maybe if you were born 30 years earlier in the UK you'd feel differently about blues. different associations.

mvuent

Void Dweller
maybe there's a 10 year old future luka who's disgusted by chicago house and detroit techno because they associate it with RA/FACT.

Last edited:

luka

Mvuent said he was disgusted by house and techno already that's why I said understandable

version

I like blues and plenty of stuff Dissensus would frown upon. Case in point.

Last edited:

mvuent

Void Dweller

would be cool if you could implement some kind of machine learning thing to imitate skip james' playing style. of course that would horrify most blues people for a number of reasons but I think it could turn into something interesting.

Trillhouse

I think that the emo side of contemporary US hip hop is a lot like the original US blues. Dudes talking about the pains of existence in a wavy, raw fashion, talking about getting fucked up to escape, how the drugs will fuck you up you as well, all over minimalist repetitive musical accompaniment.