Music as id

blissblogger

I have a possibly not sufficiently examined belief that the ID is the only motor. That the higher centres of consciousness are inert and impotent without it's rude energies.

that is why AI is a non-starter

it would have no motivation - motivation comes from the base elements, the lower depths - body, reptilian brain stem, glands, hormones, endochrine, nervous system - the senses, the psychomotor, etc

AI could write a facsimile poem, or make a facsimile joke, but it wouldn't have the drive to pull it off, cos it couldn't feel it -

even the purest refined upper reaches of consciousness, like those of a mathematician, are still impelled by some drive rooted in the animal - ego, mastering the environment, the hunt

mvuent

Void Dweller
I think there's definitely evidence of this in all art forms.

Even look at the most "classicist" artworks of all(?), the Elgin marbles - all veiny muscular violence and sexily sprawled women and men.

Perhaps this could even be mapped to the middlebrow thing? A fudging between one or the other?

was gonna say, visual art surely offers the best evidence for the "id as sole motor" theory. so many artists have achieved mastery of their craft seemingly just to depict really idealized, sexualized people. you used to have to say that you were depicting history or mythology to make that sort of art respectible, now you can say its character design for a video game. the artists themselves are often surprisingly "cool" as well. for example I always assumed from his art that frank frazetta must have been a total nerd irl, but really he looked like this.

I guess the music equivalent of frank frazetta types would be edm producers / DJs

Last edited:

luka

Do you lot understand the thing I was worrying at? Or have I not explained it properly?

Droid might not think this at all but it's what I understood him to be saying implicitly without actually saying it

luka

That what here we are designating as id and considering an unavoidable essential part of our nature may in fact be a kind of implant for control purpose or bred into us for control purposes and the thing to do is disable reroute around it short circuit it transcend it disavow and disown it

luka

That what we are calling id is the key component of the fascist character. (Dogs are fascist)

luka

I'm saying, this has been my basic assumption for the last 1000 years. It seems to fit some of the facts. Does it fit all of them? And what problems emerge from believing this to be true? Is it a kind of moral laziness? Etc

luka

Wikipedia page on sublimation

[3] In the opening section of Human, All Too Human entitled 'Of first and last things', Nietzsche wrote:

There is, strictly speaking, neither unselfish conduct, nor a wholly disinterested point of view. Both are simply sublimations in which the basic element seems almost evaporated and betrays its presence only to the keenest observation. All that we need and that could possibly be given us in the present state of development of the sciences, is a chemistry of the moral, religious, aesthetic conceptions and feeling, as well as of those emotions which we experience in the affairs, great and small, of society and civilization, and which we are sensible of even in solitude. But what if this chemistry established the fact that, even in its domain, the most magnificent results were attained with the basest and most despised ingredients? Would many feel disposed to continue such investigations? Mankind loves to put by the questions of its origin and beginning: must one not be almost inhuman in order to follow the opposite course?[4]