Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Music as id

Default Music as id

Contrasting the nervy consciousness of social niceties, sensitivities, being "woke" and above prejudice and adverse to violence with

Listening to aggressive, violent, money obsessed and/or apolitical music.

And wondering if music is becoming more ID as the superego presses it's claims more insistently. (If it does.)
    Αι ψυχαί οσμώνται καθ΄ Άιδην.

Yes very good. I've been looking for a way to frame this since visiting droid in Dublin and feeling that he had deliberately foregone music as Id that the drone and the ambient were ways to hook music up to the higher centres of consciousness exclusively.

When I say, as I sometimes do, that black music was the primary motor for revolutionary change in the 60s more so than drugs or politics this is part of what I mean.

Quote Originally Posted by luka View Post
    Yes very good. I've been looking for a way to frame this since visiting droid in Dublin and feeling that he had deliberately foregone music as Id that the drone and the ambient were ways to hook music up to the higher centres of consciousness exclusively.
    I have a possibly not sufficiently examined belief that the ID is the only motor. That the higher centres of consciousness are inert and impotent without it's rude energies. This I sometimes use to give myself license to behave in ways perhaps I shouldn't behave.

5. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to luka For This Useful Post:

It was something my dad said. Luke motivation is very hard to come by so don't be fussy. Hate lust fear envy. These are the only true sources! Now you can sublimate those but you can't get the initial impetus from higher considerations.

7. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to luka For This Useful Post:

Conventionally Freudian but it's how I think this works. At least for me, now, at this stage.

Quote Originally Posted by luka View Post
    I have a possibly not sufficiently examined belief that the ID is the only motor. That the higher centres of consciousness are inert and impotent without it's rude energies. This I sometimes use to give myself license to behave in ways perhaps I shouldn't behave.
    I think there's definitely evidence of this in all art forms.

Even look at the most "classicist" artworks of all(?), the Elgin marbles - all veiny muscular violence and sexily sprawled women and men.

Perhaps this could even be mapped to the middlebrow thing? A fudging between one or the other?

It's good having people like you around cos I can create a half baked thread that deserves to die and you'll rescue it with a dozen posts

11. The Following User Says Thank You to Corpsey For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Corpsey View Post
    I think there's definitely evidence of this in all art forms.

Even look at the most "classicist" artworks of all(?), the Elgin marbles - all veiny muscular violence and sexily sprawled women and men.

Perhaps this could even be mapped to the middlebrow thing? A fudging between one or the other?
    Ay! Corpsey is on fire! You're spot on. I hadn't thought of that!

My aborted breeding thread was my way to try and get at this topic. The droid experience got into my head trying to think around this stuff of aggression and dominance and the pleasure we take in things that are maybe not good. Like, should you be questioning it or is the pleasure primary? You have to be prepared to make yourself uncomfortable and maybe pull out some supporting timbers of your whole personality

Is that kind of wolf pack mentality something you have to evolve out of? Just guard dog mentality for useful idiots like in platos republic ferocious loyal obedient mutts

Is the id stuff really just a way to play you?

One of the threads I'm trying to tie together here is droids implicit attack on the top dog mentality. That accepting the top dog mentality makes you an instrument of fascism.

Third says we should listen to the music of losers. Always choose the losing side. This is a linked critique. But what I am unwilling to do is to lose force, energy, exultation. So again this is something that needs to be squared

Energy power momentum how can I prioritise these things without without succumbing to the obvious dangers?

Energy has to be freed up. I can't tolerate anything else. The thing has to move.