'The Future' Weaponized For Intergenerational Warfare.

luka

I'm not stupid I do understand why third and (occasionally) Barty want to undo the power of this framework because it very obviously is used as a way to dismiss whole generations.

luka

When I was in my twenties and I wanted to have a seat at the table and join in the conversation grime was very useful to me because no one could with any conviction pretend it didn't sound utterly alien.

Last edited:

sadmanbarty

I’m very pro-future. I love it.

I went to this planetarium once and it was space projected all over the walls and you were being launched through all these stars and galaxies and it had all these things where all these machines were being disassembled and all this. Amazing. I told the girl I was with (who was baffled by my taste in music) “this looks like what the music I like sounds like”.

A couple of years ago I was really sad listening to jungle thinking “fuck, the future happened before I was born”. Why I love the music of the last couple of years so much is that it’s the first proper future in decades. Not just a little tinkering with ing frameworks we already have, but full on alien music.

I feel sorry for dance music fans; you have a music who’s whole lexicon is based on the future and yet it’s been relegated to being the past. Dance music hasn’t had a new idea in maybe 20 years.

sadmanbarty

Do you know what I mean though? Regardless of where you situate yourself

Of course. I think me and third are unlucky in the context if dissensus to have found all these people we love to chat to 15 years after they’ve given a fuck about music.

luka

Yeah and I partly started the thread to apologise and say I do understand the frustration. It's bad that weve all gone braindead

luka

There's always an urge to break the frame if a generation can't get it to work for them

luka

I've talked about it a lot in terms of the dissensus post dubstep wars where the post dubstep lot decided they're only option was to trash the hardcore continuum frame

luka

Because it is seen as a device to dismiss their music. Which it was. But the music obviously was still shit.

But there's always this thing of if you can break the frame you can break the power of those who wield it and in some way derive their authority from it.

luka

This is my reflection for the day. About my role as supreme leader of dissensus the oppressive overlord and malevolent dictator. And the kind of resistance that inspires.

luka

Anyway I was trying to do something different before not really to do with hardcore continuum or the future. So in a way I don't really care. I wanted to do another thing like in this or that and time barrier etc I don't need the future or hardcore continuum to smash young people's hopes.

luka

I'm in that post fight reflection period where you go what's all that about what can I make of it

luka

To get the best out of people you have to make sure they feel heard and appreciated. This is like become I g a magament theory thread like the extinction rebellion one. But also you will yourself be a partisan adopting partisan positions and having a particular vision of what things should be like so you, as both prince and Machiavell have to balance these things

Leo

the music nerd elders talked down to or ignored us when were in our 20s-30s, why should we make it any easier on the young 'uns now that we've risen up the ladder and have our boot on their neck?

luka

the music nerd elders talked down to or ignored us when were in our 20s-30s, why should we make it any easier on the young 'uns now that we've risen up the ladder and have our boot on their neck?

I know, I also hear this voice Leo.

Leo

being a bit facetious of course, but isn't this the case with most sorts of generational divides? elders feel entitled because they've paid their dues and young ones feel dissed, "you just don't understand, man!".

it's like the waves of immigrants who come to an area: the Dutch and Germans were early settlers in my neighborhood, and they treated the newcomer Irish like shit, who a few decades later rose up the social and economic ladder and started treating the newcomer Italians like shit, who in turn over time started treating the new hispanic immigrants like shit, who now often shit on the recently arrived Koreans and Vietnamese.

a time-honored tradition of feeling superior to those who come after you!