The Shining Ones

Corpsey

bandz ahoy
The gated compound with its own private security services
Private health care
Private education
Perhaps helicopters and private jets so not even the public roads have to be used except when strictly necessary

This is what I really hate about billionaires. When they're libertarians. They climbed a ladder and now they want to kick it away.

luka

It's a major trope of science fiction. What was that ricidculous Netflix series I quite enjoyed last year?

luka

altered Carbon! That's the one. Also the film idlerich was raving about, cloud atlas.

Corpsey

bandz ahoy
It's just wilful blindness, isn't it?

Tech wouldn't exist without public funding (much of it military, I believe?).

It was depressing seeing how many people reacted to Bezos tossing 100 million to the homeless with gratitude. So easily manipulated. I myself felt that gratitude briefly. I thought "oh that's nice, he's changed his attitude".

luka

I mean, millions of things, you just magnify the already existing disparities and draw out the religious metaphor, the topography of heaven and hell.

luka

It's just wilful blindness, isn't it?

Tech wouldn't exist without public funding (much of it military, I believe?).

It was depressing seeing how many people reacted to Bezos tossing 100 million to the homeless with gratitude. So easily manipulated. I myself felt that gratitude briefly. I thought "oh that's nice, he's changed his attitude".

We should kill them and distribute their ill gotten gains and nationalise or break up their companies. That's my opinion.

Corpsey

bandz ahoy
I guess the reason a lot of tech ppl are libertarians (leaving aside deep seated egomania/social dysfunction) is that they're coming up against the government as an obstructive force most of the time. It's easier to notice something that's getting in your way than something that's helping you, especially if the help was "just there" from the moment you were born. Taking things for granted is one of the ineradicable human evils.

luka

Well I read the New Yorker things you linked to on theil and bezos and they're libertarian long before that point. They're almost born that way

Corpsey

bandz ahoy
We should kill them and distribute their ill gotten gains and nationalise or break up their companies. That's my opinion.

It needs to be institutional, doesn't it, or else other billionaires will rise in their wake.

This is another reason I don't tend to engage with politics. It all just seems so incredibly complicated, like a mountain of tangled wires that might never be untangled.

I turn in on myself, and try to solve those unsolvable problems.

yyaldrin

in je ogen waait de wind
i think the rich believe in their own lies. they actually do believe that they are creating jobs, they actually do believe that their wealth is trickling down, they actually do believe their charity makes a difference. what is real is that their wealth only exists because of the suffering of other people.

luka

I think you have to acknowledge how extraordinary it is to build a company as large as Amazon or even just to accumulate as much wealth as a Warren Buffet. There is something superhuman about it. Leaving aside all ethical considerations. Much like becoming famous it's something millions dream of and only a handful of people achieve. They are special, in that regard if no other.

Leo

I read one time that most of the millionaires in the US run very mundane businesses: car dealerships, real estate developers, owners of a half-dozen franchised restaurant locations, etc. In NYC you've got the whole Wall Street factor but in the heart of the country, they are relatively average folk.

Last edited:

luka

Set your mind at ease Leo we have no plans to execute relatively average folk at this stage of the programme.

Corpsey

bandz ahoy
I think you have to acknowledge how extraordinary it is to build a company as large as Amazon or even just to accumulate as much wealth as a Warren Buffet. There is something superhuman about it. Leaving aside all ethical considerations. Much like becoming famous it's something millions dream of and only a handful of people achieve. They are special, in that regard if no other.

It must foster contempt for those who haven't slaved their guts out (or at least not visibly). Their sense data must be telling them that if everyone worked as hard as they did they would be as successful.

version

The thing about the mega rich that allows the imagination space to roam is what that kind of wealth would allow you to do.

There's a Ukrainian mob boss called Semion Mogilevich who I've been interested in for years. He's simultaneously a ghost and in plain sight and apparently controls pretty much all of the Russian mafia and has stuff going on all over the world. Of course, Trump's rumored to be involved with him too.

luka

https://www.buzzfeednews.com/articl...bbins-punishes-followers-by-making-them-drink

Tony Robbins punishes followers who fail at his self-help tasks by calling them onstage in front of large crowds and making them drink an unidentified mixture “designed to have a lasting effect for several hours.”

Video and internal documents reviewed by BuzzFeed News reveal that Robbins places “L” stickers on audience members’ foreheads and then, while the song “Loser” by Beck plays over the speakers, forces them to down a “gross shot” whose contents he does not disclose to them.

The practice is part of a pattern in which the embattled self-help superstar urges his followers to ingest potions while on their quest to “live a healthier, wealthier, more fulfilling, passionate and purposeful life.”

Corpsey

bandz ahoy
Bet he's a fucking psychopath. He's got one of those facss/physiques that would become terrifying very quickly.