Big Books

craner

Beast of Burden
Luke's like one of those guys who used to go door to door selling Encyclopedia Britannicas, but he has a boot filled with yellow Collected Prynne bricks instead.

Clinamenic

Binary & Tweed
reading only makes sense if you understand it as operating on a single plane of discourse anyway
But my trouble here is that I struggle to grasp onto the value of a text, beyond its information, when I can already appreciate how the plane can stretch on through actual texts I haven't encountered, and potential ones that no one has. Seems like a transient difficulty, but a difficulty nonetheless.

Clinamenic

Binary & Tweed
corpsey found it useful to smoke a big spliff then read a sentence and spin out
Largely why I've been smoking lately, because it uncooks me in a way, allows me to feel far enough into some text/media that would otherwise be a controlled and ultimately unsurprising experience.

edit: spliffs for me, as well.

Clinamenic

Binary & Tweed
But I have difficulty assessing this, even deciding whether or not to view it as the result of a misstep, or to view it as being rightfully on course of a larger process.

Clinamenic

Binary & Tweed
Granted I'm still getting used to ambivalently seeing everything on a common plane. Defies any framework of valuation or order.

woops

is not like other people
prynne is like a wicked new drug. it's like rediscovering something amazing for the first time, but better

jenks

thread death
On the last 200 pages of re-reading Proust. It’s been one of the best things I’ve done in years - over a four month period it means I feel like I’ve been swimming in that prose almost constantly. I suppose if Ulysses is the attempt to condense the whole world into one book then Proust is attempting to micro analyse a consciousness into one book.

Benny Bunter

How long is the Proust?

Rereading is good. No point reading anything truly worthwhile just once.

I like the 'swimming in that prose' feel when you immerse yourself in one writer for an extended period.

I was planning to read DQ in translation first then reread in Spanish but gonna do it the other way round now I think, arse backwards. Only halfway through the prologue so far, but I'm finding the Spanish to be a lot easier to read than I thought it would be for something so old.