version

Last edited:

version

I guess Capitalist Realism would have to be in there. Simon's books. Blake. Burroughs. Grapejuice.

john eden

male pale and stale
Books wise I think you’d start with Energy Flash and More Brilliant Than The Sun.

Then the sidebar crew is everyone who did a blog and then had a book out with Zero. Special mention for Mark and Nina.

john eden

male pale and stale
Maybe after that things get more dispersed. For example Iain Sinclair or Ben Watson would be good reference points. But not for everyone.

luka

Other important things. Food and good shoes. A wide choice of restaurants with menus you can't even read. Somewhere attractive to go and argue and spit quail and venison at each other, or romance someone irresistible. Plus, exquisite or simply well-cooked food, made with ingredients that aren't delivered in industrial vats or pumped with toxins or subject to some sinister biotech fix-up. Restaurants that let you smoke. Smoking! While we're on the subject, this also comes under my personal rubric of basic human rights (right next to "the vote" in case you're interested) and is, nevertheless, severely infringed upon only by the most advanced democracies. Taxing pleasure is one thing, but when it comes to the outright suppression of minor appetites by some nebulous external force - the soft power of moral censure enshrined in law, for fuck's sake! - that provokes one's capacity for resistance, to put it politely. (And when allied to false statistics, i.e. the "facts" of passive smoking, the imposture is compounded.) It's degrading to have to deal with this erosion of autonomy.

luka

Dan’s book on Grime. That guy who posted on here who did that book about pirate culture and mp3s and copyright.

no one that stopped posting after they became moderately successful should be acknowledged in my opinion.

luka

As for good shoes, that's not simply a right, it's a duty. The problem with Western democracy is that finding a good pair of shoes involves a kind of quest, and a mortgage. It's the sort of detail that Thomas Paine did not forseee. All shoes should be good! All commodities should be good quality, because that's their only justification (dialectical materialism, by the way). This is not a question of taste: it's a question of craft and personal dignity. It's not that I'm opposed to sandals, flip-flops and espadrilles (except when worn off the beach); it's just that I am opposed to, say, leather loafers that start to lose their colour after a month. Leather's not supposed to lose it's colour. Hair is, but not leather.