What film shall I watch tonight?

version

Yeah I completely agree that Nightmare on Elm Street is possibly the best ever idea for a horror film.

In Wes Craven's New Nightmare the lead ends up meeting Wes himself and he says that he had to keep making Elm Street films because they were keeping Freddy bound to that world and preventing the evil animating him from seeping into ours.

IdleRich

IdleRich
Makes sense to me... also the films are not always executed well enough to do justice to the idea. Though when your fifteen or whatever they more than do the job. Though you tell you're friends you weren't at all scared while drinking pints of espresso whenever they not looking.

Last edited:

luka

Strange film in that it is a children's film in all respects (no nudity even) but it has an 18 certificate

luka

How she sets all those Beano comic booby traps for Freddie at the end. Home Alone before Home Alone

catalog

I watched Fight Club a few years ago and found it deeply embarrassing.

I'm a big Fincher fan too - Zodiac and Gone Girl primarily.

Watched gone girl last night. Terrible film. Ben Affleck is such a crap actor. It was vaguely interesting til you found out what happened to her. Total snoozefest from then on.

IdleRich

IdleRich
That's weird, Gone Girl was on here too and I watched (most of) it. I can only reiterate what you are saying - it's an intriguing set-up but Affleck is completely terrible and the story goes super fucking stupid.
As an aside, has anyone seen that film with a load of people trying to assassinate some guy in a tower block in a kind of sub-Tarantino style? Affleck plays this guy who is supposed to be cool. Not good at all.

Corpsey

bandz ahoy
It's a silly reaction on my part. If you found it boring you found it boring. Probably others find my embarrassment at Fight Club embarrassing.

For me, there levels of meaning/thematic resonance going on in Gone Girl that transcend the hokey plot.

Again, its the Vertigo thing. Silly plot, masterful execution, dark, even misanthropic to its core.

Corpsey

bandz ahoy
I'm not a fan of affleck but I thought he was well cast in Gone Girl. There's the postmodern aspect to it and there's the play Fincher makes with his smugness and unlikeability.

catalog

Yeah I was hoping for it to be good, was properly invested, but then nearly fell asleep with all the doogie howser bits and everything afterwards. It was really fucking long as well. Might've been better in the cinema. I've not seen vertigo for ages but that's an interesting comparison. Might rewatch that at some point.

IdleRich

IdleRich
But it's nothing like Vertigo... if you think that Vertigo was a shit plot and mindblowing technical stuff mixed with crude Freudian ideas you're probably not far from the truth, but to compare that with Gone Girl's shit plot and mildly interesting almost somethings is just wrong.

IdleRich

IdleRich
I mean, the first time I saw Vertigo I was caught up in it, when I saw Gone Girl I thought "This, what's happening now, is fucking stupid" and that's cos it was. Vertigo seems more original NOW in literally every way it could be than Gone Girl would have seemed if it had been made in 1736.

Corpsey

bandz ahoy
But it's nothing like Vertigo... if you think that Vertigo was a shit plot and mindblowing technical stuff mixed with crude Freudian ideas you're probably not far from the truth, but to compare that with Gone Girl's shit plot and mildly interesting almost somethings is just wrong.

Sorry are you comparing "crude Freudian ideas" with "mildly interesting almost somethings"? What are the "mildly interesting almost somethings" you're referring to, and why are they less interesting than "crude Freudian ideas"?

Plenty of people have been "caught up" by Gone Girl. Plenty of people thought Vertigo was a failure when it came out. And a ridiculous one at that. (That's an interesting shift in itself, actually.)

I'm not saying its AS GOOD as Vertigo, obviously. I had a feeling people would think that though.

Last edited:

Corpsey

bandz ahoy
Also, to the point that it wouldn't have been original in 1776 - I know this isn't what you were getting at, but afaic Gone Girl couldn't have been made (or conceived of) before this decade. It's a product of reality TV, social media (and news media), surveillance state, even arguably the financial crisis.

I can see why people don't like it - it's pulpy, it's silly, it's nasty, it's got Ben Affleck in it. Maybe you're "right".

I can only speak for what I saw in it, which I don't think I'm imagining, and for the mastery of technique which I perceive. It's not a bravura dreamscape ala Vertigo, which probably makes that comparison seem even more egregious - it's dreamlike though, albeit in a hyper realist way.

The vertigo comparison was mainly to rebutt the argument that because the plot is silly it must be shit.

Last edited: