sadmanbarty

the police make them censor specific references to opps and all that, so they just reverse the vocals during the incendiary bits.

it's like that little fella in the red room in twin peaks. its also got those devilish connotations, like rewinding stairway to heaven to find hidden satanic messages (of course its actually obscuring evil messages). it fits in nice with that reverse bass sound too.

mvuent

Void Dweller
it had a good vibe. no one accusing me of calling nonwestern cultures "inhuman" etc. a lot more to be said on this topic too, especially as it relates to other media.

linebaugh

The Stooges 'Heavy Liquid: The Album' release from 2017 is saved by the extreme compression

The billy gibbons guitar tone, the doo wop girls on the 'baby' motif- if not for the fuzz this would sound like something you could announce ford truck month with:

Here the tune approaches Stairway to Heaven territory but the production keeps it in the Heroin zone.

Last edited:

mvuent

Void Dweller
for posterity: before he edited linebaugh posted a song called "penetration" twice. shut up, there's no joke to be made there...

that's a nice example, relatively subtle but especially on the second one you're right, it changes the vibe a lot

version

Great work guys.

giphy.gif

version

ADBD13_1626212198_resize_460x400.png

Misfits – various cassette bootlegs

This was when I first got into punk music, pre-internet, when I was in middle school, so it was hard to find a lot of punk music, you had to get it dubbed from somebody's older brother or sister. I think the first stuff I heard was probably the Walk Among Us stuff, and Earth A.D.. A little while later, we heard ‘Cough/Cool’ that sounded like it had been dubbed 10 times, and we would get live tapes that also sounded like they'd been dubbed 10 times and recorded on a tape recorder held next to a speaker – everything's overblown, but we could still follow the songs. I don't think I realised until later, but that's how my love for tape hiss came about, I was hearing these Misfits bootlegs. I remember when the remasters came out in the early 90s, and finally hearing like, ‘Cough/Cool’ or ‘Rat Fink’ at its proper fidelity. So much was missing for me – there were so many sounds in these dubbed versions I had that were just gone. I mean, I probably would have liked the proper versions if I had heard them first, but these poorly dubbed ones were the ones I listened to over and over and over, that's how it sounded right to me.

What you fell in love with was the whole sound world and all the unwanted stuff as well as that actual song?

When I heard Harry Pussy for the first time, they were a punk band that I thought, this is like a Misfits bootleg – I can tell there's a song there, but it's so blown out and it's so buried in low fidelity that I really fell in love with that band. It was like the Butthole Surfers or Couch again – this is what punk has always been in my head. I think it really made me want to explore those sounds in that tape hiss, dubbing tapes over and over to see what happens. I didn't until recently put two and two together, that this all probably came from me listening to these Misfits tapes.

version

I run into this with film more than I do music, but the digital look is driving me mad again. That crap 70s film I mentioned in the Eurocult thread looked miles better than all the trailers and bits of newer films I've seen recently purely because it was shot on film.

It's the same with photography. I saw some stuff people had shot on old cameras recently and it just looks so much better.

Untitled.png

Reactions: Leo