Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Groupname for Grapejuice.

Quote Originally Posted by sadmanbarty View Post
    Remember that ‘listen to this’ thread?

Post a Goodun if his and we’ll all have our go with it
    They're very long

I had a very ominous feeling about writing when I started seriously doing it in my teens, that I was recklessly summoning forces I didn't know how to control. I was genuinely concerned that I would write things and then they would come true in some transliterated way - not usually literally, but in the sense of reality somehow pattern-matching to what I'd written, coming up with the hidden meaning it didn't have until that moment. It wasn't like I had any way of using this as a kind of power over reality, making things happen. It was more that writing was building houses for things - events, images, relationships in real life - to come and live in.

Burroughs was the first person I read who had obviously had the same feeling. I was completely bewitched by it for a while.

I still find the referentiality of written language, the fact that words on a page point somewhere, inherently spooky. Because you don't know quite where they are pointing. And then there are these moments where a bundle of pointers abruptly resolves into something, all the arrows converging on one event or image, and it feels like that really is the one thing it was all about all along.

I don't think that happens to me so often now. I've sort of trained myself out of it a bit.

Quote Originally Posted by poetix View Post
    I had a very ominous feeling about writing when I started seriously doing it in my teens, that I was recklessly summoning forces I didn't know how to control. I was genuinely concerned that I would write things and then they would come true in some transliterated way - not usually literally, but in the sense of reality somehow pattern-matching to what I'd written, coming up with the hidden meaning it didn't have until that moment. It wasn't like I had any way of using this as a kind of power over reality, making things happen. It was more that writing was building houses for things - events, images, relationships in real life - to come and live in.

Burroughs was the first person I read who had obviously had the same feeling. I was completely bewitched by it for a while.

I still find the referentiality of written language, the fact that words on a page point somewhere, inherently spooky. Because you don't know quite where they are pointing. And then there are these moments where a bundle of pointers abruptly resolves into something, all the arrows converging on one event or image, and it feels like that really is the one thing it was all about all along.

I don't think that happens to me so often now. I've sort of trained myself out of it a bit.
    "It’s one thing for the composer Karlheinz Stockhausen to call 9/11 a work of art — he apologized — but it’s another for DeLillo to have repeatedly theorized it as a work of art in advance.

As I read through DeLillo’s novels in college, I began to hold him personally responsible for the terrorist attacks of 9/11. (Not solely responsible of course — there’s plenty to go around.) His fixation on terrorism, finance, and the Twin Towers themselves in novels like Mao II, Players, and Underworld, which includes a hazy picture of the twin towers on the cover and a character who contemplates crowds fleeing from towers and terror in the sky, made 9/11 seem inevitable in retrospect. Any prophecy that comes true has to be at least a little self-fulfilling. There is no way to read DeLillo’s novels and not understand that — at least on a subconscious level — he saw it coming."
    Quote Originally Posted by droid View Post
    my truffles are pristine

The suicide bridge thing I posted in the paranoia thread is about this too

The reason I started writing is that I had thoughts which were different from other thoughts, that came with an electric charge. This is as a teenager. Power surge getting unleashed. Very exciting. And they seemed to lead somewhere. Taking me somewhere, and changing me as they did so. That's the invisible college.

I know the feeling, but I can't sustain the belief that it points to a reality exterior to my own neural cortex. The charge comes from somewhere incongruous with the ego, sure, and it brings us up against something that has the feeling of being concretely, vividly, over-against-us really there, but I think it's located in inner rather than outer space, and I do think that distinction means something.

Don't know how you'd go about making the distinction

The ego is like the user interface of the neural cortex, there's a whole lot of stuff going on behind the scenes that's not represented by "I"-thoughts or articulated in "I"-statements. Sometimes bits of the stage machinery make their presence felt, sometimes the salience function that decides what's Really Important glitches and thrusts something into the foreground that normally sits in the background, and so on. But such events are localised to the brain and related bodily systems, they aren't signals from the outside world - they just feel like they are because they come from outside of our normal processing context.

I sort of want this not to be true, but I can't persuade myself that it isn't.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to poetix For This Useful Post:

You can believe what you want surely? Who cares?

Well, I care whether what I believe is true or not. I could choose to believe untrue things for the sake of a more interesting life, but that would be cheating.

You must have experimented? Just to see what would happen? Adopting a proposition you don't, strictly speaking, believe to be true. Slot it into place. Note the effects.

I mean, the thing is, it changes your experience of life in very fundamental ways, the assumptions you make about reality.