luka

Well this might actually persuade me to go back and read it at some point. I did listen to it but in some ways I have already made up my mind about it. But thanks for the reminder.

Letting someone else read your poems for you is very dangerous I think. They might fuck it up.

luka

Me and Barty both see it as a kind of high point and last hurrah for the multicultural ideal.

Since then we have seen only backsliding, with Brexit being the nadir and anti-Olympics.

I felt, in the early 00s that the land the olympics ended up swallowing, was living on borrowed time.

The reason I felt this is that it was largely undeveloped. It had been ignored. Not to say there weren't scrap yards there and light industry and warehouses, but my feeling then was that it had been allowed to remain outside the panopticon and as such was not going to be tolerated for much longer. The olympics proved I was right.

catalog

I didn't really articulate my thoughts very well in that Eliot/wasteland thread, in terms of my prejudices against it, but I'm quite wary of some of the big guns. I feel like I could fall into them and they would be like black holes, I might never get out.

catalog

Re the Olympics, I do remember that summer as I happened to be in London and there was definitely a vibe, the people on the tube chatting and all the costumes. It felt like something positive, if only as a surface thing. And then yeah, it never really coalesced into anything more long term, cos ultimately the foundations are not really strong enough

luka

but I'm quite wary of some of the big guns. I feel like I could fall into them and they would be like black holes, I might never get out.

That, as I understand it, is the very essence of the indie kid identity isn't it.

catalog

Good stuff. I like the reddish graf thing.

Here's some more on Venus, f on next blog:

"Symbolically speaking Venus is not only in the underworld (invisible to us) but she is exactly conjunct the Sun. She is neither Evening or Morning star. She is truly between the worlds; suspended at that eternal moment after the inhale, before the exhale or possibly after the exhale but before we breathe in."

So we just need a bit of information on Mercury perhaps now. I'm hoping it will come in this blog or the next.

I'm associating Venus in my head with aesthetics (I'm not sure if this is a correct association) and so this seems to be telling me that after the moon in the night and before the sun in the morning, I should pause and draw.

catalog

Colours in these photos are good. There's a very particular resolution to them, which wevhave now passed, and cannot return to. They remind me of Boris mikhailovs photos of Ukrainian edgelands

luka

Indie favours the small gesture over the big gesture, the amateur over the professional, the scruffy over the polished, the lazy over the disciplined, the meek over the proud and so on and so forth. Indie as an ethos eschews the major works, the idea of genius, the work ethic so and so forth. Charity shop clothes, lo fi, shoe gazing etc. That's how I understand it. A kind of resistance movement against the notion of achievement.

catalog

Good image of Lucifer here:

unnamed (3).jpg

This could be a good model for the erotic straw man society. Satan's frozen cock as a central phallus, surrounded by a globe of falling about men

luka

Colours in these photos are good. There's a very particular resolution to them, which wevhave now passed, and cannot return to. They remind me of Boris mikhailovs photos of Ukrainian edgelands

I used disposable cameras and got them developed in the local supermarket.i will post some more on the lea valley thread

catalog

Indie favours the small gesture over the big gesture, the amateur over the professional, the scruffy over the polished, the lazy over the disciplined, the meek over the proud and so on and so forth. Indie as an ethos eschews the major works, the idea of genius, the work ethic so and so forth. Charity shop clothes, lo fi, shoe gazing etc. That's how I understand it. A kind of resistance movement against the notion of achievement.

Yes I must say that I have affinity with those tropes you have described. And I recognise there are limitations to this kind of approach.

kumar

level headed and sensible approach from mr grape

its good when they dismiss the mechanics of the archaic eternal return, (“the where or how this takes place is unimportant”), stepping into simultaneous time is still possible for anyone unfortunate enough to grow up after the writing of the first book.

it could be in the sense of enchantment that they talk about through tolkein.

you have it all the time with any aesthetic experiences, any aquired taste, when an access point can produce an alteration to the world, a new perceptual apparatus, eg maybe you didnt like house but then you saw green velvet.

something akin to that kind of simultaneous “archaic” time are those sorts of temporal leaps you get when listening to something you used to love or hate which suddenly have the inverse effect

or just the sudden feeling that you are being given an experience shared by many others before and after you.

thats why i dont think museums or the prestige of an authentic original artefact are a complete waste of time that should be burned down, on a very simple level that strong sense you could get being 6 inches in front of the mona lisa that you have embodied this mythical set of coordinates 6 inches relative to the painting is an indicator of stepping into simultaneity outside the slow death of the art exhibition.

or like i dont know about bloomer but with literary influence being like a the moment stanley ipkiss puts on the mask

one thing that hadnt occured to me which he gets across is that each day of lockdown has become a mythical eternal return embodying the exact archetypal gestures of the previous day, eg making a lentil chili, doing some stretches while listening to bbc london etc… even for instance i was reading the grapey yesterday at the the exact same time as i was this afternoon when on both occasions my housemate told me to go sit in the garden with them, mindblowing stuff!!

kumar

He settles on the pandemic at the end but I don't actually think he's saying anything all that interesting. Its like he's struggling to have a take on it. What's he saying, that the pandemic is godlike? I don't know, I wasn't convinced, felt a bit shoehorned in.

yeah was a bit stating the obvious to point out the simultaneous oneness of the virus but a more sensible option perhaps than throwing all your weight behind 5g conspiracy

but i guess the hosting the same virus inside of eachother illustrates this kind of porous oneness better than perhaps, the fact we drink the same water supply.

the tympan bit was good as well, cool sensory allegory for the semi permeable boundary of a text, your selves etc, its like entoptic patterns, eye floaters in that sense

luka

yeah was a bit stating the obvious to point out the simultaneous oneness of the virus but a more sensible option perhaps than throwing all your weight behind 5g conspiracy

but i guess the hosting the same virus inside of eachother illustrates this kind of porous oneness better than perhaps, the fact we drink the same water supply.

the tympan bit was good as well, cool sensory allegory for the semi permeable boundary of a text, your selves etc, its like entoptic patterns, eye floaters in that sense

The virus literalises all sorts of arguments and metaphors and models