Oozey Anthem

luka

Young Thug expands the Expressive range of the music, of what it is possible to express

Corpsey

bandz ahoy
He took what Lil Wayne had done to new extremes/heights. Wayne was obviously more of a traditional rapper. He made a point of being a rapper. Young Thug sort of became untethered from a need to rap in the traditional sense...

Was Lil Wayne also the first major rapper to have such a semi infantile persona? A tiny little guy with a deliebrately "cute" sort of voice. Like a gremlin. Like a cartoon.

luka

Lil Wayne was the druggiest rapper I can think of. That's part of what Thug extends, but as you say, Wayne is never druggy to the point he stops being s rapper, it gets deliberately close to the edge, but it never topples over.

Corpsey

bandz ahoy
His physique seems to have redefined what masculinity in rap meant. After him comes all these shirtless rappers with tattooes all over them and less meat on them than a chicken drumstick.

luka

Yeah obviously masculinity is a huge part of it. That's tied in with opening up of a new range of affect which was previously inaccessible. Even for women!

luka

A lot of the way art 'progresses' is based around what you are allowed to express, and transgressions of those limits.

Corpsey

bandz ahoy
The pendulum will swing back I expect. Perhaps one of the reasons for DaBaby's popularity?

It's like when you're in a heatwave, you start yearning for a cool day. And visa versa.

luka

I hope the macho era is over tbh. Fun while it lasted but it would be hopelessly regressive to turn the clock back.

luka

Everybody knows I love stupid dumb machismo more than anyone but it's not good for people and it's a creative straitjacket. Going back would be destructive.

luka

The Leak stuff is not as well known as it should be. This one harks back to Nigeria. But this time it's the less exotic Iowa.

Something about this reminds me of expensive soft rock of the 1970s