Oozey Anthem

luka

The second in an irregular series.

Listen, search the contents of your heart, confess.

sadmanbarty

after i did my amphibian conspiracy theory about this song last night i kept listening to the lyrics "breath in, breath out" and had this very vivid picture of either frog lungs or ebryo lungs being all moist and anatomical just breathing in and out. it's like dissecting yourself; when you have a syringe in yourself and suddenly feel all your machinery; your blood pumping and all that.

in the 90's rapping was all about disguising the underlying meter. the pre-rakim limerick style rapping was all clunky and very clearly showed you where the beats and bars were situation. it walked across them like stepping stones, whereas rap invovled into something far more naturalistic and conversational by the time you get to the mid-90s.

this fragmented rap is all about laying out the meter again. that chorus just accenting the off beat (reggae skank) like a metronome.

maybe this isn't the best example, but with the more sophisticated todd edwards-esque rap i was thinking today that it works like subliminal advertising; just something flashing before you and disappearing. like that demon face in the exorcist. it adds to this idea of anterograde amnesia. memory swipes.

that mantra repetition of words is really potent. the abolition of time.

luka

what makes it sound submerged is the murky muffled quality sound moving through a thicker heavier more resistant medium than air. Again the characteristic sense of someone communicating with you from a very long way away, not in terms of physical distance but from an emotional and psychic dimension which touches our own only tangentially. The same sense of having drifted off into unmoored space you hear in chief keef, self contained solicipsm space pods, watching the stars dissolve from inside the cocoon-ship. Floating away.

It's not somewhere I want to go. It doesn't seduce me. It's not a siren song for me. I don't want to drift away and lose contact with the Earth.

luka

It's the last line of retreat always. The walled garden. Here, we are secure. Here the outside cannot impinge on us. But the cost is the inability to affect our environment. That's the trade off.

luka

The sense when you are very stoned of being able to see everything g with a clarity and intensity which is almost painful but being completely unable to speak or altar it in the slightest. Behind the glass. In the aquarium.

luka

Also characteristic is the mournful quality and how out of step that is with the lyrics.

luka

There are pleasure inputs, in that sense it is not ahedonic but here pleasure closes you off from the world. It is not a means of connection the world but of sealing off, an important distinction. Disconnected from the god-frequency, which is infinite and placed on a finite machinic-frequency. This switching over of inputs accounts for a great deal of the sinister aspect of this music.

luka

It's an inversion of psychedelia. A captured and walled-in psychedelia. A satanic psychedelia. A trap.

luka

You do t have to like the song to play the game play the game with me and Barty play play play play

luka

The cover arts deliberate invocation of Alistair Crowley using his hand to cast the goat shadow on the wall behind him.

catalog

Reading you and Barty here, it's quite fun. It's like you are doodling. You're quickly going off into complex areas that don't really have anything to do with the song. All the things you are saying:

-in a place outside of time
-outside looking in or inside looking out (isolated, apart)
-surface layers peeling back to reveal the real

(Other things I know)

The images you are conjuring are great, would be even better if you were more specific, more lucid, more exact.

Not songs, I'd say resist posting more songs. Or links.

Keep writing the images, it'll lead somewhere interesting.

I suppose the only thing I would add would be to say that this mode of expression is nothing new, it's always there? Maybe it's just foregrounded now.

luka

I'm glad you find it fun but I think the best fun is when everyone gets involved and doesn't treat it like a performance to be watched and possibly applauded but as something to participate in.

I think it does lead somewhere interesting. If we can keep following the trajectory and not have to keep starting from scratch.

catalog

The green is quite interesting. It's quite an odd tone to begin with, I guess a disgusting, or lurid one. But it's not very synthetic. Like it looks on first glance quite fluorescent, but its not, it has stripes of darkness in it.

Probably just a mistake?

Did they dirty it up?

Sort of mutant in colouri suppose. Slime, ooze, that sort of thing.

luka

Quite a lot of that about. Perhaps linked to young thugs adoption of the 'slime' epithet (via dipset)