Page 3 of 11 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Quillette

Well, he's gone again now. Just dropped by to unload his monthly dose of scorn.

Wait a minute! Steady on! I've never called him a nonce!

I love craner he's my friend. Sometimes I worry about him but I would never acuse him of noncerry

Quote Originally Posted by luka View Post
    Craner, you're a nonce
    One such example

5. The Following User Says Thank You to sadmanbarty For This Useful Post:

Hes trying to drive a wedge between us craner

Quote Originally Posted by sadmanbarty View Post
    could have been scientologists had their environment been different. could have read the secret if they were slightly dumber. willing your way into self-betterment. a tweed jacket like an intellectual suit of armour.
    Here look you were doing well a minute ago this is great saves me writing my own thesis

One such example
    I remember that. What a bastard!

10. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to craner For This Useful Post:

Deep fakes
    not even that deep, actually.

12. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Leo For This Useful Post:

One of the things I was trying to get at in the interesting ethnic pathways thread is the way in which conservatism is forced to fictionalise in the absence of any sustained tradition. After industrial revolutions and world wars and globalisation and the 1960s unending of everything. After the gays and the feminists and the civil rights movement. When everything has been blown apart. And as a result it ends up as ludicrous kitsch.

You can see that here with the harking back to world pre 1960s. The rat pack suits with the narrow black ties. The side parted hair for men and the lopsided, would be rakish grin. You can see it in the tweed jackets which hark back to an aristocratic society which failed to survive the 20th century. Grouse moors and butlers. It's a kind of play acting that takes its cues not from a lived and living sustained tradition but from the entertainment industry. Period costume dramas. Mad Men. I'm very very surprised Oliver is susceptible to this as it is a serious lapse of taste.

14. The Following User Says Thank You to luka For This Useful Post:

And I think Barty is right when he says part of it is a drive to create a kind of white identity.

'Quilette' is clearly intended as the thinking man's Spiked, as has already been mentioned, but that's at odds with its name, which is that of an upmarket feminine sanitary product.
    Last edited by Mr. Tea; 27-03-2020 at 06:12 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by woops
    i hate sigs

One of the things I was trying to get at in the interesting ethnic pathways thread is the way in which conservatism is forced to fictionalise in the absence of any sustained tradition. After industrial revolutions and world wars and globalisation and the 1960s unending of everything. After the gays and the feminists and the civil rights movement. When everything has been blown apart. And as a result it ends up as ludicrous kitsch.

You can see that here with the harking back to world pre 1960s. The rat pack suits with the narrow black ties. The side parted hair for men and the lopsided, would be rakish grin. You can see it in the tweed jackets which hark back to an aristocratic society which failed to survive the 20th century. Grouse moors and butlers. It's a kind of play acting that takes its cues not from a lived and living sustained tradition but from the entertainment industry. Period costume dramas. Mad Men. I'm very very surprised Oliver is susceptible to this as it is a serious lapse of taste.
    Indeed, hence Mad Boardwalk Peaky Downton Men Empire Blinder Abbeys.
    Quote Originally Posted by woops
    i hate sigs

And I think Barty is right when he says part of it is a drive to create a kind of white identity.
    in this instance, it's particularly an aspirational white identity. so being a hippy or goth won't do. we have to go all the way back to gregory peck to find a role model.

19. The Following User Says Thank You to sadmanbarty For This Useful Post:

gregory peck
    one to cheer droid up