Is Jay-Z Good?

luka

Deified in America but here doesn't inspire much devotion. It's his 50th birthday. Is he good?

luka

He's one of those artists who've made countless brilliant songs but you still don't want to call them good. There's something missing that makes you hold back. If I started listing songs of his I loved I'd be here all night but you know

sadmanbarty

99 problems is a pivotal moment in rap acceptability. a song to be used ironically in adverts and in lee mack sit coms. one that mums can do their comedy rapping to. one that millennial economists will reference in a tweet ("i've got 99 problems, but liquidity ain't one")

luka

99 problems is a pivotal moment in rap acceptability. a song to be used ironically in adverts and in lee mack sit coms. one that mums can do their comedy rapping to. one that millennial economists will reference in a tweet ("i've got 99 problems, but liquidity ain't one")

It's like fix up look smart for rap

sadmanbarty

can't knock the hustle's like a mase a couple of years before that took hold. it's a move away from mid-90's east coast and shifting into that glamorous era. his outfit on the cover

sadmanbarty

then you've got the championing of kanye, which is rap's first retromanic moment. kanye's production of that era was the first time rap took a step backwards.

luka

can't knock the hustle's like a mase a couple of years before that took hold. it's a move away from mid-90's east coast and shifting into that glamorous era. his outfit on the cover

This is where he sounds most indebted to Will Smith the Fresh Prince of Belair

luka

then you've got the championing of kanye, which is rap's first retromanic moment. kanye's production of that era was the first time rap took a step backwards.

And Just Blaze. But previous to that he'd been behind some of the most forward thinking beat choices. Him and Busta took all the chances.

luka

Listening to Westwood in this era was great cos there was loads of silliness like this

sadmanbarty

he was a great role model lots of guys my age. he took the language of hustling and all that and used it to talk about business acumen and all that. i know at least a few boys who completely bought into that, which probably kept them out of trouble ultimately.

luka

He was still dutifully putting a premier beat on every album as a sop to traditionalists right up until about 2000 if not beyond this is the best of them

luka

he was a great role model lots of guys my age. he took the language of hustling and all that and used it to talk about business acumen and all that. i know at least a few boys who completely bought into that, which probably kept them out of trouble ultimately.

This is part of the shift I keep talking about I remember when I first started coming across weed dealers that didn't smoke

luka

Hidden wisdom secret knowledge goes from 5% nation today's mathematics to sensible investment opportunities. Master P buying neighbourhood petrol stations and hamburger bars

sadmanbarty

Hidden wisdom secret knowledge goes from 5% nation today's mathematics to sensible investment opportunities

friends with the obamas.

i remember when everyone got all obsessed with the illuminati running the music industry, jay was seen as the figurehead.

sadmanbarty

Listening to Westwood in this era was great cos there was loads of silliness like this

there was a great period in time in the early-2000's in rap and to an extent dancehall production where the onus wasn't on innovation, but on doing something unique. we've talked about lost futures recently and i bet this era's rich in them.